Discover Mindfulness, one breath at a time.
● Integrates with Apple's Health app to record your completed breathing sessions Mindful Minutes.
● Time: "Calm yourself with Breathing Zone."
● Harvard Health: "When you find yourself under stress, Breathing Zone can help."
● Bloomberg: "The breathing trick that can make you more productive."
● New York Magazine: "Sometimes the fastest way to combat anxiety or an oncoming panic attack is just to remember to breathe. I like Breathing Zone for its simplicity."
● Self Magazine: "Just inhale. Then exhale. Download the Breathing Zone app for guided exercises."
● Huffington Post: "An effective guide to mindful breathing."
● LifeHacker: "Breathing Zone Guides you towards slower breathing to help reduce stress."
● Fox News: "Breathing Zone simply trains you to slow down your breathing. In the process you calm down and relieve stress."
● MacWorld: "If you slow your breathing, it can relax you; but it’s not easy to do this on your own, but Breathing Zone can help."
● Gigaom: "Go beyond the basics and analyze your breathing patterns via your iPhone’s microphone with this app."
● PoductivityBytes: "This app’s signature feature is the ability to analyze how you normally breathe in order to suggest the best routine for you."
● University of Sydney: "Breathing Zone provides guidance on slow breathing."
● Nursing Standard: "Breathing Zone offers simple guided breathing exercises, that are a useful introduction to the health benefits of slower, therapeutic breathing."
● One Medical: "Therapeutic breathing benefits your brain and mood, and can actually help decrease your heart rate and lower high blood pressure. Breathing Zone offers detailed instructions and a Breathing Analyzer to measure your breathing rate."
● AppAdvice: "Relax your mind and body in as little as 5 minutes with these doctor recommended breathing exercises."
● HealthTap: "103 Doctors recommend this app."
Saves Mindful Minutes to HealthKit on Apple Watch.
Ratings and Reviews
Form Meets Function
I’ve had this app on my phone for a long time. It’s been very helpful in times of need.
The variety of sounds is exactly right. Commuting on the train the white noise or water really nullify the ambient sounds (with noise canceling headphones). There have been many occasions where the other sounds were helpful and welcome.
I don’t use apps for meditation because I don’t want to regulate my breathing, just observe it. However, when stressed, super anxious or the chatter in my head is just too loud, this app is my go-to friend!
I just finished reading “Breath” by James Nestor (recommend) and he puts forth a 5.5 second inhale/exhale as the optimum baseline for establishment of coherence and peak efficiency (oh yeah, and breathe through your nose). Needless to say, 5.5 BPM is simple to setup in this app. Every other app I’ve looked at clocks seconds without an option for increments.
Anyway, if you are looking for a simple and functional timer with a very generous feature set (optional technicolor expanding flower included) mash the download button now (and breathe through your nose!)
Thank you for fixing after the update
The app makers fixed the issue I complained below. It's back to its awesome state, now with better graphics. Five stars!
(Until a few days ago, you could set the app with a starting breathing rate and an ending one. Because of that feature, you could start with your regular pace (5 breaths a minute) and the app would gradually take your breath down to, say 2 or 3 breaths a minute. Now, with the update, you can only choose one rate.)
Formerly my fave app
I used to love this app! I used it every day for mindfulness. The app was very simple and well designed. My favorite feature was that it would automatically adjust the breathing rate down as you used it.
That is no longer this app, and I really really regret updating it. It seems now to be focused on gamification/metrics and no longer focused on mindfulness. These features that are designed to get the user more engaged with the app and spend more time in the app completely defeat the entire purpose of downloading it.
I recommended this app to many friends/family/colleagues/etc, and it is very unfortunate that the app has taken this step backward in functionality. Another example of this is the fact that the transitions between breathing rates now sound much rougher and unpleasant than before.
Really really baffled with this one. Will keep an eye on the comments to see if anyone has another app to recommend - a functional clone of the old Breathing Zone would be ideal!
I’m rating it 1 star because a previously extremely useful app has fallen victim to app trends that do nothing for the end user. I appreciate the beautiful new animations, but all the other additions (and the extremely baffling removal of good features) are pretty frustrating. I miss the simplicity of BZ.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Breathing Zone Limited
- 34.9 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 12.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.3 or later.
- Apple TV
- Requires tvOS 12.1 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Breathing Zone
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.