“This trip to the past is a glimpse at the future” - TIME. Enter the shadows of a post-war North American city through this film noir inspired, historically based immersive art app. Requires iPhone 4S/iPad 2 and above.
The first Real-time 3D art app to tell a story inspired by real events. An immersive experience created by internationally renowned artist Stan Douglas and the award-winning NFB Digital Studio. Through photorealistic 3D illustrations rendered from Douglas’ extensive historical research, Circa 1948 takes users to the late 1940s, Vancouver, BC, a young city in the midst of urban planning, but divided along lines of race and income. Eavesdrop on long lost conversations in two carefully recreated locations: an Old Hotel in Vancouver’s affluent west side, then squatted by homeless war veterans, or the muddy streets of ethnically diverse Hogan’s Alley in the working class east side, populated by racial minorities, gamblers, prostitutes and corrupt police officers. Produced by the National Film Board of Canada.
- Extensive historical detail
- Period music and audio
- 44 film noir influenced conversations
- Historically accurate props, architecture and landscapes
- Open-source real-time 3D engine
- Touch and gyroscope-driven navigation modes
- iPhone 4S, 5, 5C and 5S
- iPad 2, 3rd and 4th generation iPad, iPad Air, iPad Mini and 2nd generation iPad Mini.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
- iOS 8 Support
- fixed rendering bugs on iPad Air 2, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+
Ratings and Reviews
did they bother to work with app developers who actually know what theyre doing, jfc
Beautiful, and working again!
FYI: WORKS AFTER iOS 14.1 UPDATE
Incredibly immersive, with an impressive amount of detail. I can easily lose track of time just taking in all the sights and sounds of this app. Unfortunately, it tends to crash occasionally, and it needs an update to take advantage of the resolution of newer devices... I can't even take one star off for the instability; it's just that stunning.
Complex and Fascinating
A truly fascinating and immersive experience. This app does not grow old quickly. It is extremely well done with world-class audio, dialogue, and music. The amount of detail and things to listen to keep me exploring for hours. I would have given it five stars but it occasionally crashes. Hopefully they can make some minor tweaks to fix this. We need more apps like this!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- National Film Board / Office national du film
- 2 GB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- © 2014-2015 National Film Board of Canada