GitJournal is an open source note taking / journaling app built with privacy and data portability in mind. It stores all its notes in a standardised Markdown + YAML header format or plaintext. The notes are stored in a hosted Git Repo of your choice - GitHub / GitLab / Gitea / Gogs / Any Custom-provider.
- Offline First - All yours notes are available offline
- No Account Required
- Categorize your Notes with Folders
- Open source / Free Software / FOSS
- Can easily be extended and integrated with other Git tools
- Can also be used to manage Hugo / Jekyll / Gatsby websites
- No Ads
Never need to import / export your notes, as you always have control of the data. Apps may come and go, but your notes will always be with you.
Git has been chosen as a backend as self-hosting a Git server is much simpler than almost any other software, additionally there are already many commercial providers of Git. So you can choose who you want to trust with your notes. We currently don't support encrypting the notes, but it's something we're actively working on.
- Fetch the modified and created time from the Git MetaData
- Add an experimental History Screen
- Optimized Loading Git History Screen
- Fixed "Invalid Credentials" error.
Ratings and Reviews
Clean, Fast, Stable
The perfect smart device companion for anyone who keeps their notes in a git repo. If you don’t always have access to your computer when you need to create or review your text notes, this app handles those situations flawlessly.
This launches faster than most syncing note editors, and the interface is intuitive and clean. After testing editing on multiple devices with a git repo on a personal server in an attempt to stress test it, all interactions were reflected correctly in the git history. I could not be more pleased with this app!
One of a Kind
I have been looking for a git-based not-taking app for iOS for a long time. So glad this is finally here. GitJournal does a great job making the commit/push/pull process a seamless “sync” like other note apps.
Developer Response ,
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.
Please feel free to contact me if you encounter any issues or have any feature requests :)
Love the product and exactly what I was looking for!!!!!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Vishesh Handa
- 93.5 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Vishesh Handa
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly, Pay What You Want $2.49
- Monthly, Pay What You Want $4.49
- Monthly, Pay What You Want $3.49
- Monthly Pay What You Want $1.99
- One Time Purchase $35.99
- One Time Purchase $31.99
- Monthly, Pay What You Want $9.99
- One Time Purchase $54.99
- One Time Purchase $40.99
- Monthly, Pay What You Want $5.49
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.