Rhythm & Glitch machine
Designed for iPad
GlitchScaper is a rhythm machine with six sound generators, each controlled by a two-layer cycle sequencer, designed to easily create glitchy patterns and scapes.
To quickly find new ideas, each generator has separate options for making sequences and tones. The parameters of the new sequences and tones are set randomly, but are guided by several user-defined options, which in outline define the steps of the sequence and the type of tone or noise. This allows you make a quick draft of a pattern and then simply tweak it to get the final sound. The advanced copy function gives you ability to quickly make a new preset by copying sequences and tones from existing ones.
The tone generator makes bright and rich sounds based on 12 complex waveforms or various types of noise, and can also use an external input as a signal source. Effects transform the tone from smoothly varying to full of squeaks and rattles. Each effect is modulated by a special envelope generator with different shapes that change throughout the sequencer step.
The sound generators have individual spatial effects, as well as a common reverb space for all generators that adds an ambient layer to the final mix. The final mix can be even brighter and heavy or pumping with the built-in harmonic exciter and bass enhancer.
The intuitive interface and powerful sound design features make this application super convenient for creating your own, unique sound.
GlitchScaper is great for creating simple beats with an interesting and unusual sound, but it was originally designed for digital distorted patterns with longer steps that blend perfectly with the rhythms of classic drum machines and sequencers.
GlitchScaper is a universal application for iOS and macOS. It can work on iPhone and iPad as well as Mac / MacBook with M1 chip (and later). GlitchScaper works on iPhone and iPad standalone, as an Audio Unit or Inter-App Audio module, and supports Audiobus and Ableton Link. On MacOS, GlitchScaper can works both as a standalone application and as an Audio unit (AUv3) with DAWs and audio unit hosts like Ableton Live, Logic Pro, GarageBand, MainStage, Cockos Reaper, Plogue Bidule, Hosting AU, and other hosts that support AUv3 plugins. All application features are available on iOS and macOS, including MIDI support (with a MIDI learn option) and audio unit parameters. GlitchScaper has a built-in detailed description of all parameters also available as PDF file on the application site.
A brief overview:
You can find more information on GlitchScaper and other experimental audio processing apps at:
- The new "Stream" mode for generators (in section "Generator - Tone") allows you to use this app as a six-channel gated effect. In this mode the generator uses a direct input stream as a signal source. This mode does not use the loop recorder and is similar to how gated effects work. The "Input" mode has been renamed to "Loop".
- A new button "Space: On, Continue, Off" has been added in the "Output" section to control the common reverb space and reverb reflections of each generator. With this button, you can turn off the overall reverb space and reverb reflections of the generators, for use external reverb / spatial effects as needed. This button also allows you to make reverb tails continue after the sequencer stops.
- Added the ability to create groups of presets. Now the list of presets can be organized more conveniently. You can create groups, move presets between groups and merge them. The "Favorites" group is created automatically when you make a preset a favorite. The "Factory" group contains all factory presets, and can be hidden in the settings.
- Added the ability to export and import presets and groups. You can save a preset or group to an external file, then import it into the app on another device.
- The "Solo" button has been added for all generators.
- Several new factory presets added.
- Improved work of generators in loop recording mode (the "Loop" mode).
- Sequencer control parameters exposed as MIDI and external parameters of Audio unit.
- Added a detailed description of the new modes to the built-in description of the app. Also available as a PDF file.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app from one of the iOS masters
GlitchScaper is up there with Spacefields as one of my fav apps from this dev for easy, usable sound design purposes. While not as obvious as other apps I figured out the workflow within 10 mins and have been using it everyday for the last week. No one is doing it like Igor and he truly makes creating on an iPad an unique experience.
Already blown away !
I’m only an hour into experimenting and pairing with multiple drum machine programs. But I am already designing new sounds / ideas ‘ projects as it has opened up new creative path for me.
As with all the other apps Igor has created, this one lives up to the hype. Thanks!
Glitchscaper Atmospheric Bliss
You can easily create glitchscapes to zone out to. The randomization features of the app are top notch. The built-in help makes it easy to learn.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Igor Vasiliev
- 30 MB
- Requires iOS 13.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.4 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Igor Vasiliev
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.