SmartScales makes practising scales and arpeggios interactive and fun! A collaboration between highly experienced music educators and leading music software developers, SmartScales ensures you’ll be making beautiful music thanks to specially-composed backing tracks in a broad range of styles.
The graded exercise packs, available as in-app purchases, closely follow the syllabus of the ABRSM, the UK’s largest music education body and the world’s leading provider of music exams. Free content allows you to try exercises in each grade before buying. Content for Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello and Double Bass available today, more instruments coming soon!
• Follows the complete ABRSM syllabus*, including all exercise variations
• Choice of music styles for every exercise
• Fully interactive score follows the music
• Adjustable tempo as you build towards ABRSM's suggested playing speed
• Loop the exercise so the music goes on while you play
• Built-in metronome helps you keep in time
• Toggle lead, backing and metronome tracks on and off
• Music can be used as jam along tracks
* The syllabus on which SmartScales is based is © by The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music and is reproduced by permission of the copyright owner.
Enabled background playback
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
How about some real music??
Nice app. I'm an adult returning to my cello after taking a couple-decades break and checked to see if this is something I could use. And I might. But only if some quality background music choices are added.
Someone earlier said that the current offerings are hokey. So true, there's just a bunch of olde timey ring tone-type stuff to choose from. I don't want to listen to that! How about letting me accompany some great classical music? I'd also love some rock and top-40 choices. The students who use this app aren't making computerized music, we're playing real music using real stringed instruments!
Offering real music is what would make this app work for me. The metronome's nice, but I don't need it, so I'd just as soon open up one of my methods books to practice. Maybe the developers were only targeting the very youngest of students. Too bad! They're selling this app too short.
Read about this app in The Strad, tried the free version and bought an advanced package.
The app is beautifully laid out and realized: easy, intuitive, attractive and comprehensive. It does all the basics and then, with add-ons, quite a bit more: scales in all their variations, covering two and three octaves, with appropriate fingering options. I had a question, wrote support, and within an hour received a helpful response!
I plan to use this every time I practice--daily!
I've tested this with a few students. However they intuitively were trying to be in sync with the timeline bar rather than the audio (perhaps as the iPad speaker was not loud enough in studio)-but I've discovered if they follow when the bar passes the note they will be behind the beat. It would also help scanning purposes if the note heads could highlight or change color when they should be played. It would be cool to have option to add fingerlings or display pitches, or make new rhythm patterns that wouldn't require changing the accompaniment, or more than the 2 note slur option (3,4,6,8). All the other features are great.
- Greater Heights Media Ltd
- 28.1 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Copyright © 2015 Greater Heights Media Limited. All rights reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- Violin Grades 1 to 8 $12.99
- Piano Grades 1 to 4 $4.99
- Cello Grades 1 to 8 $12.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.