Crime and Place™ just might save your life – or help you avoid becoming the victim of a violent crime. Just look at these features:
- The Crime Compass™ - Quickly see your surroundings as you move using a unique color-coded view that updates dynamically. Whether you’re walking or driving, the Crime Compass shows you short- and long-range crime hotspots, allowing you to steer clear of dangerous areas! The radar sweep view displays information in all directions for up to one mile. All map areas are clearly marked with “red, yellow or green” indicators showing how safe they are.
- The Crime Map Overlay – Using the fully interactive heat map, you can search for points of interest or a specific address for crime data. This allows you to check out gas stations, restaurants and rest stops before you go there. Or, you can drop a pin on the map to verify that your next stop won’t be in an unexpected high crime area.
- Customizable – You can customize the crime data displayed to suit your needs. Simply change the settings to display different types of crime by categories and weighting. For example, you can customize your settings to display personal or property crime – or set the app to show “auto thefts” or other specific types of crimes in your area.
- Crime Notification – It’s easy to set up notifications so that you are alerted when you enter a high crime area. Notifications require background GPS use.
- Reliable and Accurate Data – Crime and Place focuses on presenting well established, long term national and local crime trends in the U.S. This provides a more accurate picture of crime levels than other types of reporting. With Crime and Place, you won’t have to decipher confusing “incidence” maps that show dots or confusing icons that can be hard to read.
Crime and Place is Great for:
- Taking local trips
- Going to new venues
- Checking out the safety of your daily commute, your own neighborhood or other areas you frequent
- Knowing how safe your local parks and attractions really are – before you go!
- Taking Road Trips
- Determining how safe the area is around your work, shopping and parking areas
National Press Coverage
The Wall Street Journal reported, “Navigating the app feels like running through a videogame: A warning pops up when you’re entering a ‘high crime area’ then directs you back to safe environs.”
The Herald Sun wrote, ”The app uses maps and a “’Crime Compass’ that tells users not only how safe they are, but essentially how to escape high-crime areas.”
Download Crime and Place Today!
Learn more at http://crimeandplace.com
You may opt into a 30-day trial subscription to use the most recent data. If you decide to cancel your trial subscription, you may continue to use the data for the remaining year at no additional cost.
Notifications require background GPS use. Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
This app is not designed to, nor does it provide any guarantee of safety. Please read the License Agreement in its entirety before purchasing or installing this app.
2016 crime data is included by default. Optional subscription runs for 1 full year from date of purchase and provides access to the latest crime data.
Major updates of crime data are released yearly with minor revisions released quarterly. Purchased data will remain accessible even after subscriptions expire.
Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period.
Subscriptions may be managed, and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your Account Settings after purchase.
- Support for iOS 13. Lots of iOS 13 related bugs have been fixed and crashes resolved
- New advanced setting allows changing map overlay transparency
- Performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Nice App - Easy to use
The crime compass is very easy to use and it shows you where safe areas are. It works when you’re driving or walking - which is good for me.
My family drives to Florida and Colorado on vacation and it will be great to see which gas stations or restaurants are safe for my family to stop. The search function is very easy and allows me to get details on specific location crime ratings.
I also work in a downtown area where I often walk several blocks to lunch. This will help me plot my course at my home office as well as when I travel to other locations for work trips.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your review. We're glad this works for you in different modes. Did you see that you can customize the types of crime mapping and crime reporting data you see based on your preferences. This might be something you'd like to adjust based on your type of travel. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Awesome Concept... Questionable Accuracy
I really enjoy this app’s concept.
And I was convinced that this would be a great and reliable way to avoid bad areas... until dug a little deeper.
I looked up the crime rate for an affluent area I lived at not too long ago, and I was surprised to find that it was above the national average above 6.
This really surprised me, as this address was in one of the safest areas in the city, with some of the most expensive homes in that state. I suspected that something was wrong.
I decided to compare this and other neighborhoods on other crime tracking websites, and I found that often times they didn’t match at all. Some websites listed high crime areas in places that the app displayed green, and vice versa. Some of those websites also listed locations and descriptions of reported crimes, and they didn’t really track well with what the app displays. One area was dark red in the app, but didn’t show up as having reported crimes from other websites.
So really, if the data is questionable, what conclusions can you safely draw from using the app? One cannot confirm that the app is working as intended by saying crimes that weren’t committed to them.
I feel the developer can improve the app by disclosing where the data comes from, and perhaps adding markers of reported crimes in specific areas so we can better see what goes behind the color.
I want to be able to trust this app, and I hope the developer takes these considerations in mind.
Developer Response ,
Hi there, thanks for the feedback. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We'd love to pick your brain about what you're seeing. One thing to keep in mind is that we value long term multi-year trends over short term crime incidences. Regardless, shoot us an email so we can start a dialog and hopefully nail down the inconsistencies you've come across.
Extremely useful. Thank you
This app has proven to be very useful for me in security planning and long trips it shows one to think ahead and take precautions if necessary or avoid an area all together. I think it is a must have for anyone. I would like to see active reports and response by pd/fire/ems. Along routes
To help planning travels or alert anyone in that area. A combo of your app and citizen.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your kind words. We're very happy Crime and Place is helpful for your security planning and long trips. We're glad the crime reporting and crime mapping features are helpful. We will add your request for active reports into our new feature planning process. Thanks for the idea.
- AMGCI, LLC
- 213.7 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019 AMGCI, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Data Subscription $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.