Paintstorm Studio is the first iOS App designed not only for simple sketches, but professional digital painting of any level, genre and technique. Paintstorm helps you to discover the magnificence and unleash the full potential of Apple Pencil and brings you to a whole new level of drawing. Creating an art masterpiece has never been so mobile.
A major feature of Paintstorm Studio is the array of brushes to choose from. We did our best so that you can easily and quickly adjust the brushes suitable to your painting style.
Anyone who has ever painted knows it's hard to overestimate the painting tool and the importance of all the seemingly insignificant details. We tried not to miss any of them. Our goal was to create an intuitive, simple-to-use but at the same time functionally powerful tool that brings the process of digital painting to a new level, making it as comfortable as possible.
- Full control of all brush options (Incredible possibilities for brush settings)
- Bristle brushes of any form and kind
- Stroke post correction (You can take an action on any option. Not only on the stroke thickness)
- Parameters binding to the perspective
- Dynamic interface (Global interface scale, panels scale, opacity, color)
- Custom panels
- Full controlled mask-brush (Each brush can work as mask for other brush)
- Takes underlayer's color while blending
- "Close gaps" function when you fill or select
- Dirty brush mode
- Stroke stabilizer
- Usable color mixer
- Different gradient strokes
- Mirror drawing
- Standart tools pack (Lasso, Magic wand, Crop, Fill, Gradient and etc)
- Control of the random amounts
- Photoshop PSD and ABR supported
- Apple Pencil support (Pressure, Tilt, Direction)
- We added our own Paintstorm file format called «. PSS». PSS stores some useful additional information, such as «background color», «state and position of guides and rulers», «color of layers», etc.
- «Text» tool finally added! When saving to PSD, text layers will be automatically rasterized. To save text layers correctly, please use the PSS format.
- When the option "Enable scroll bars" is enabled, there is no delay when dragging a layer.
- Some minor bugs fixed.
Ratings and Reviews
Extremely underrated, however, a few bugs
(Edit) Problem was fixed!! I appreciate it! It’s much easier to use now
I’ve been using Paintstorm for almost 2 years now, and let me say I absolutely adore it! It works very well, however there are bugs that I hope will be fixed in the future.
1. Using certain brushes at a large size makes the program extremely slow. Not a huge problem, however it is annoying when drawing a simple background
2. I sometimes lose all progress. I’ll leave the app, then come back, and everything is gone. This doesn’t happen often, but I hope the auto save feature will be improved in the future
3. Colors disappearing when coloring. This is probably the most annoying thing that brought me here. When I’m coloring, the color will sometimes randomly delete and show the bottom layer. Usually I can get rid of it by simply pressing “undo”, however sometimes that even doesn’t work. Then, I’ll have to use the fill tool, and that only sometimes work. It gets to the point where I am designing or shading a character, and there is this huge, random gap. It’s a pain to deal with and I really hope this gets fixed.
An Underrated Gem
While I found myself disappointed in Procreates lack of features, this app was WELL worth the heftier price tag for me. Paintstorm was actually the first desktop art app ive purchased in many years, after happily using open source software, and i was delighted to see it, essentially in FULL, on the ipad pro. Paintstorm has one of the best brush engines I’ve ever used. Its the closest to Sai in its blending and stroke correction ive felt, personally. It also has a fantastic little hotkey menu down in the bottom left that I use constantly to resize my brush on the fly and switch between brush and eraser all without moving my pencil from the canvas. I do wish that it had more saving and export options, and the ability to import an image as a layer to make adding textures easier, and the ability to import textures for brushes from the camera roll. But these are all things I can happily deal with. Paintstorm strikes the balance I wanted. Enough features for serious painting, start to finish, a great brush engine, and a highly customizable interface. If youre used to drawing in full desktop apps and want that experience on your iPad, i highly recommend this app.
💥✋👍HUGE bug FIXED! Back to Amazing!
Thank you development team. Your prompt 1/17 update fixed critical bug for resizing brushes! Back-in-business and to being my favorite app ... the best mobile painting app!
******************** HUGE bug makes it nearly impossible to use with ipencil as it appears impossible to use apple stylus AND default brush resize button. What I did do: Disabled all multiple gestures and shortcuts in iOS and PS. Tried both the Lite and the Paid version. It works as designed if I disable stylus and use fingers. I also tried changing the new features for behavior options of the resize button to no avail. I’m frustrated spending hours of limited debug. The one star rating is to raise awareness since bug overlooked in reporting tool. Of course this pains me since this is my favorite app! *Found temp unpractical work-around by turning on + & - UI brush resize toggle buttons. iPad Pro 2, 512 and iOS 11.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.