Sequencing is the first fun step to narrative speech, something most Autistic children struggle with.
This App grew out of Zarrar’s wonderful Special Ed. Autism Kindergarten classroom curriculum, where he was cutting and pasting the sequences onto paper.
For my son, I wanted to make it colorful, fun and full of audio and visual feedback to help him and then other children in his classroom learn sequencing, and take turtle steps towards speech and communication.
Zarrar’s teacher Ms. Anna Straus tested this App in her Special Ed. Kindergarten class. And she gave important feedback to improve this App.
Play is powerful.
ZApps Sequencing game play teaches a child narrative speech through:
1. How the world works
2. Storytelling: How one thing leads to another - first, second, third and so on. How to tell a simple story, that later will help them tell their daily story, narrate and successfully communicate how they feel that day or that moment.
Repetition of sequences builds a child’s brain connections:
1. Logical next connections: this leads to narrative speech.
2. Time concepts--- first, second, third, fourth, last
3. Teaches logic.
4. Teaches recollection.
5. Improves memory.
6. Focuses on cognitive visually immersive tasks that will build the synaptic connections in the brain.
For children on the Spectrum, Autistic, speech delayed, impacted by Asperger’s or verbally challenged, making connections can be difficult. Attention deficit and sensory overload can make focusing difficult. Here immersive colorful images entice challenged children to play and play will help to strengthen synaptic connections and increase speech and communication.
Ms. Anna Straus’s feedback after testing this educational App in her Autism Classroom has been invaluable.
For Visual learners, Ms. Anna suggested:
1. Red and Green rectangles light up and give visual signals to the child if the sequence is correct or not.
2. There is a green pause arrow at the end of each completed sequence, giving the child a chance to recap and verbalize the story. The teacher or parent can then also help the child by pronouncing the words slowly, articulating difficult sounds.
Unique Educational Features:
1. Sequencing has built in scoring. This is based on the Boston University CARE Center’s Applications for Language Enhancement Study (AppLES.)
2. It lets the parent or teacher evaluate the progress of the child.
3. It records the progress of a child.
Speech sequencing ZApps is colorful, visually immersive, audio feedback and learning rich, full of Zarrar’s voice prompting and speaking out the images.
With this App a child can succeed in sequencing, then makes connections about logic, about a story: first, second, third, then fourth.
This can be developed early on with emphasis on Speech Sequencing exercises that improve the brain’s story telling abilities of simple natural events, such as an egg to chicken, larvae to lady bug, and hopefully be a turtle step to narrating their day: breakfast cereals, to lunch, playground happenings or to school bus home.
Zarrar is the CTO – Chief Testing Officer – of this product, and Autistic. It is his voice encouraging challenged children to take turtle steps on the pathway to Speech, so critical to an independent life.
Zapps Autism Apps are tiny steps, small helping hands to zap a tiny facet of the debilitating features of Autism. By zapping a tiny issue, improving speech, Zapps Zarrar and I hope will empower Autistic children; provide a pathway to Speech, critical to an independent and happy life.
We have also developed ZOTTZ, Z Occupational Therapy Toolz to develop fine motor skill in challenged children.
Please support Assistive Technology for Autism, for our home, from our hearts, to yours. This is a first step, and Zarrar and I hope one of many to come.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
great app as a start
i work in the kindergarten with special needs kids and this app is a great tool i can tell! the only reason it's 4, not 5 stars is due to kids voice over the pictures is quite badly recorded, i wish it would be a better pronunciation so that kids would learn to repeat that, you know
Great App for a autistic child.
As an Autistic child and SLP and Dad developed this app it shows the friendliness of a child's voice. Love the voice prompts.
I like the images that show clearly the sequence for speech development.
Love the child’s voice feedback
Love the visual red and green ques.
Wonderful for Autistic visual learners.
The scoring function and timer lets me keep track of my son’s progress.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Abu Zubair
- 76.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2017 Abu Zubair
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.