Identify birds with your camera or your microphone! Just point to the bird and we'll ID it for you. Over 1000 bird species from the United States (USA) and Canada are available, with plenty more from around the world.
With Smart Bird ID, you’ll:
• Identify birds by sound (song ID) or image (video or photo ID)
• Add your observations to your journal, and sync them across your devices
• Share your identified birds with others, and learn more about birds in your area
• Listen to bird songs, and learn more with photos and videos
• Improve your identification skills with fun quizzes
Why you’ll love Smart Bird ID:
• Beautiful design and simple to use, wether you’re a beginner or an advanced birder
• Easy-to-maintain lists help you keep track of the birds in your backyard or in the field
• Huge international community, with birders sharing observations every day
• Works offline so you can ID birds everywhere
• Built & designed by a birder that’s sweating the details to make the perfect birding app
Upgrade to Smart Bird ID Pro to:
• Unlock every feature in the app with no ads
• Never lose an identified bird with cloud backup (includes photos, video and audio)
• Sync your observations across your devices
• Create memorable bird lists like life, year and yard lists
• Create a birding profile and share your observations with the community
• Unlock international birds
If you purchase a Smart Bird ID Pro annual membership, payment will be charged to your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current subscription period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current subscription period.
Automatic renewals will cost the same price you were originally charged for the subscription.
Subscriptions may be managed by going to your Account Settings after purchase.
Any unused portion of a free trial period will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription.
Bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
I Think I May Be A Birder Now
I’ve never been interested in birds really. But sitting outside on my deck this summer I kept hearing a bird that had a unique call unlike most I hear in my back yard. I said to my family, “Wouldn’t it be cool if there was an app like Shazam but for bird songs to help identify the species?” Next thing you know I’m in the Apple store buying this app! The next time I heard that bird I quickly whipped out the app and used the search feature with sound recording. It positively identified it as a California Quail (a bird I am familiar with but not the song/call apparently). In the app I played the male California Quail call and this bird left his perch from my neighbors tree and flew aggressively right at me! I think he was planning to take me on until he got a little closer and realized I was a bit bigger than him! He perched in the other neighbor’s tree and resumed his song. I went inside and had my daughter come out to see if it was just a fluke or what. I played the male call again and sure enough he left his perch and flew to our roof top just over the deck where we were standing and peeked over at us to be sure we weren’t another male quail invading his territory. Then he flew off. Super cool experience! Super cool app!
I just purchased the full app and I think it is so worth it. It’s really fun to identify the birds using the camera and microphone. Sometimes if there are a lot of bird sounds around me, it takes awhile for the microphone to pick up the exact bird. I’ve noticed if I keep recording and wait a few minutes, it will give me a few birds to possibly choose from. The percentages and multiple attempts help me pick the right one. Im also able to verify it if I can get a picture of the bird. I’m happy to support this app and get to know the birds in my surroundings and places I visit. Thank you for something educational that I can do with my children!
Best bird app I’ve used
This is a pretty great birding app. I really love the ID by song feature. I haven’t had much luck with the ID by image feature unfortunately. This app is one of the few I’m more than happy to make a purchase to stop ads and gain more content. The quizzes are an excellent learning tool! Any time I’ve emailed the dev, he has almost immediately responded, which has been super awesome. I would give it 5 stars except there are occasionally times when the app is a bit weird, like when trying to play a bird song or call. I have phone sound on and volume up and hit play and the play button disappears but no sound is played. Restarting the app usually seems to resolve this. No major issues with the app, just minor annoyances. I’m still very glad and appreciative of the time and effort put into making this app and would certainly recommend it to anyone interested in birding!
- Michael Eilers Smith
- 243.5 MB
Requires iOS 12.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2019 Michael Eilers Smith
- In-App Purchases
- All-In-One $9.99
- Pro (1 year) $29.99
- Remove Ads $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.