Stellarium Mobile is a planetarium app that shows exactly what you see when you look up at the stars.
Identify stars, constellations, planets, comets, satellites (such as the ISS), and other deep sky objects in real time in the sky above you in just a few seconds, just by pointing the phone at the sky!
This astronomy application has an easy to use and minimalist user interface, that makes it one of the best astronomical applications for adults and children who want to explore the night sky.
Stellarium Mobile features:
• View an accurate night sky simulation of stars and planets for any date, time and location.
• Dive in a collection of many stars, nebulas, galaxies, star clusters and other deep sky objects.
• Zoom on realistic Milky Way and Deep Sky Objects images.
• Discover how people living in other regions of the planet see the stars by selecting the shapes and illustrations of the constellations for many sky cultures.
• Track artificial satellites, including the International Space Station.
• Simulate landscape and atmosphere with realistic sunrise, sunset and atmosphere refraction.
• Discover 3D rendering of the major solar system planets and their satellites.
• Observe the sky in night mode (red) to preserve your eyes adaptation to darkness.
Stellarium Mobile contains in-app purchases allowing to upgrade to Stellarium Plus. With this upgrade, the app will display objects as faint as magnitude 22 (versus magnitude 8 in the base version) and enable advanced observing features.
Stellarium Plus features (unlocked with in-app purchase):
• Reach the limit of knowledge by diving in a massive collection of stars, nebulas, galaxies, star clusters and other deep sky objects:
- All known stars: Gaia DR2 catalog of over 1.69 billion stars
- All known planets, natural satellites and comets, and many other minor solar system objects (10k asteroids)
- Most known deep sky objects: a combined catalog of over 2 million nebulas and galaxies
• Zoom almost without limits on high resolution images of deep sky objects or planetary surfaces.
• Observe in the field, even without internet connection, with a "reduced" set of data: 2 million stars, 2 million Deep Sky Objects, 10k asteroids.
• Control your telescope through WIFI: drive any GOTO telescope compatible with NexStar, SynScan or LX200 protocols.
• Prepare your observing sessions using the advanced observation tools, to predict a celestial object observability and transit times.
Stellarium Mobile is made by the original creator of Stellarium, the well known open source planetarium and one of the best astronomy applications on Desktop PC.
Your can unlock the full features using either a one time payment or a subscription. See In-App Purchase section for the subscription price available in your country. Payment will be charged to your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless cancelled 24 hours prior to the end of the current period. Auto renewal may be turned off at any time by going to your account settings after purchases.
Terms of service: https://stellarium-labs.com/stellarium-mobile-plus/stellarium-mobile-terms-of-use
- fix settings sometimes not saved at app exit
- fix constellations boundaries
- many other bug fixes and optimisations
Ratings and Reviews
Outstanding Astro Application
Stellarium is by far the best general
purpose astronomy application for iPhone. It is really cool, going out with binoculars and identifying various stars, star clusters and nebulae. We travel extensively between the northern and Southern Hemispheres. I’m looking forward to going back to the temperate south in a couple months to see if it is as good there as it is in the temperate north. I’m seriously considering the paid application to support the developers, I just hope the extra features will not bog it down! I like the iPhone rendition more than the version I have used on my Linux box for years. I do prefer Cartes de Ceil on that machine.
Great in Theory
The idea behind this app great. When put to use though, you need to know where to look for constellations and stars before using the app. Using it to locate Comet Neowise was next to impossible for a beginner. By the description I understood that by pointing the camera skyward the screen would show me where the Comet was in relationship to other well known items. I tried to see The Big Dipper which was just about directly overhead. I started the app and it said Porterville current view or something to those words. Could not locate the big dipper on my phone doing a search or just pointing the camera up. I followed all instructions and could not locate anything. $9.99 and it is nowhere near as easy as described. Very disappointed. Still guessing what I am looking at when I look at the night sky.
Developer Response ,
Hello. Thank you for the detailed feedback and we are sorry we did not meet expectations. Sorry also for the very late reply to this review. Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with the app or with refund. The reason the Big Dipper did not come up in search is because it is an asterism that is a part of Ursa Major that can be searched in the search bar. Hope it helps
This is the best of all apps of it’s kind, simple settings, nice views, very customizable, great landscaping, very informative. I just wish the labels of Neptune, Pluto and the asteroids to be visible without having to zoom in too much, so I can see their positions on the map. If I zoom in too much, this makes me miss some of them if they’re further away from the ecliptic line and I also lose the whole picture of the sky, so this just bothers me a bit. The label line in the settings is all the way up for the Solar System and yet, I can never spot these bodies without having to dive in deep enough. Plz make, at least our planets, visible at all zooming levels.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Noctua Software Limited
- 395.1 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Czech, Dutch, Filipino, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2019 Noctua Software Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Stellarium PLUS $1.99
- Stellarium PLUS $18.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.