NIU Safe is the official safety app of Northern Illinois University. It is the only app that integrates with Northern Illinois University's safety and security systems. NIU Department of Police and Public Safety has worked to develop a unique app that provides students, faculty and staff with added safety on the NIU campus. The app will send you important safety alerts and provide instant access to campus safety resources.
NIU Safe features include:
- Emergency Contacts: Contact the correct services for the NIU area in case of an emergency or a non-emergency concern
- Panic Button / Mobile Bluelight: Send your location to Public Safety in real-time in case of a crisis
- Friend Walk: Send your location to a friend through email or SMS on your device. Once the friend accepts the Friend Walk request, the user picks their destination and their friend tracks their location in real time; they can keep an eye on them to make sure they make it safely to their destination.
- Tip Reporting: Multiple ways to report a safety/security concern directly to NIU Public Safety.
- Virtual WalkHome: Allow NIU Public Safety to monitor a user’s walk. If a user feels unsafe when walking on campus, they can request a Virtual WalkHome and a dispatcher on the other end will monitor their journey until they reach their destination.
- Safety Toolbox: Enhance your safety with the set of tools provided in one convenient app.
- Chat with Security: Communicate live with safety staff at NIU via chat.
- Notification History: Find previous Push Notifications for this app with the date and time.
- Share Map with your Location: Send your location to a friend by sending them a map of your position.
- I’m OK!: Send your location and a message indicating that “You’re OK” to a recipient of your choosing.
- Campus Maps
- Campus Map: Navigate around the NIU area.
- Transit Map: Find transit routes currently in service.
- Emergency Plans: Campus emergency documentation that can prepare you for disasters or emergencies. This can be accessed even when users aren’t connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data.
- Support Resources: Access support resources in one convenient app to enjoy a successful experience at NIU.
- Safety Notifications: Receive instant notifications and instructions from NIU Public Safety when on-campus emergencies occur.
Download today to ensure you’re prepared in the event of an emergency.
Ratings and Reviews
- Northern Illinois University
- 9.7 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2019 Northern Illinois University
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.