This delightfully easy-to-use app exports photos and videos from Photos on Mac in year-wise, album-wise and day-wise folders. Try the evaluation version free!
Export photos and videos from Apple Photos in folders by years, albums or moments. Save on Mac, in external HD, Google Drive, Dropbox, NAS or anywhere else. Preserves image resolution, file format and metadata.
Very easy to use: Select source (Photos library), destination and the years, albums or moments to be extracted. Everything is exported in a familiar folder hierarchy (Don't try it with Photos' Export function: you'll get just one humongous, unusable folder).
Try Photos Takeout for FREE. This lets you see how the app works, but exports only one photo per folder. Unlock exports permanently with in-app purchase:
- POWER version: For Photos libraries of up to 50 GB.
- PRO POWER: Handles even multi-Terabyte libraries.
POWER users can upgrade to PRO POWER anytime with POWER UP in-app purchase, by only paying the price difference.
Examples of when to use Photos Takeout:
- To make yearbooks of your 2017, 2018 and 2019 photos
- To export selected albums for printing as photo-books
- To move photos from iCloud to external drive. Save $$!
- To migrate to other photo management programs or PC
- To share albums or tons of photos with non-Mac users
- To extract photos for reverting to old versions of Photos
MORE ABOUT PHOTOS TAKEOUT
* For macOS Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave and High Sierra
* Works on Intel as well as M1 Silicon powered Macs
* Can migrate thousands of photos, blazing fast
* Handles all standard photo and video formats
* Preserves albums, file names and EXIF/IPTC metadata
* Exports YYYY folders or YYYY>MM sub-folder hierarchy
* Exports all or selected albums or Moments as folders
* Exports latest edited versions or unmodified originals
* Preserves custom arrangement of photos in albums
* Extremely easy to use – Can’t go wrong!
* For professional photo organizers as well as lay users
Photos is a great program for organizing and editing pictures and videos, but it stores them in its opaque Photos Library structure. So you don't control your photo collection. Can't click open a folder and find all your photos in it. Can't switch to another photo management software without losing your organization and photo edits.
Use Photos Takeout to make a human readable backup of your photos. Even if you do auto-back ups on Time Machine, this added layer of protection is useful because Time Machine overwrites older backups, so you could still lose data.
Photos Takeout makes it incredibly easy to get photos and videos out of Apple Photos, organized exactly as you like.
HOW IT WORKS
- Select Photos Library: Must be your Photos system library
- Select destination: e.g. Mac, Dropbox, Google Drive etc.
- Select one or more Years, Albums or Days (Moments)
- Use the default export options or customize
- Click Export. That's it.
App includes a User Guide. For help, email us via the app for prompt human-powered support. We don't do automated or canned replies!
Note: Live Photos and burst photos only work in Photos app. Photos Takeout exports these as single-frame JPGs. App is compatible with Photos for Mac, it's not for iPhoto, Aperture or other photo management programs.
Intel or M1 Silicon Mac with macOS 10.12 and higher, 64 bit (Big Sur, Catalina, Mojave and High Sierra)
* Source library for Photos Takeout MUST be the same as your Photos system library.
* Photos library must be compatible with the Mac on which Photos Takeout is installed.
App window resizing function restored.
Ratings and Reviews
Has potential, but needs polishing before it is worth the cost
I was really excited with this app, because it seemed it would be the answer to something I have been wanting to do for a very long time: exporting pics from Photos in an organized and efficient fashion. But a deal-breaker for me is the impossibility to select individual pictures, which seems like a huge oversight from the developper. Right now, the apps only allows to select ALL pictures belonging to specific "groups", like Years, Albums, or Moments. But you cannot open a given group, and select individual pictures to export. This "all or nothing" approach is just not flexible enough for me for justify the cost. There are also some "annoying" things with the app that would need to be polished before I consider buying it: no dark mode support, the app always opens in full screen (every time!!!), and the app also asks for the location of the source Photos library every time it opens, as well as the Destination (the app should be able to remember these settings!). I'll definitely keep an eye on future updates, but will definitely wait to see how it gets improved before purchasing.
Developer Response ,
Manu, thanks for your feedback. We polled a lot of Photos users before deciding to export only complete folders. Yours is the first request we've had for drill-down selection and will see if more users want this. Your point on full screen is noted, we'll fix this. Having to specify source and destination every time is due to tightened permissions requirements in Big Sur [Update: Version 2.6 includes Dark Mode support, app window resizing and remembering window size preference.]
Just got it and love it!
I have been looking for an app that I can take my pictures from Apple's Photos. I hate to be locked in a system where I can have the freedom to use them in other programs. I found this app and I love it. I had minor glitches due to a mistake I made but after that it is so easy. I am now transferring by 30k pictures into a hd. The app keeps the pictures organized as in Photos. I am first transferring by years and then I will do Albums that I have made. It will give me a double backup.I am now looking for a substitute program for Photos.
I have the Pro and is it is not cheap but it is worth it.
Developer Response ,
We are delighted that our app is helping you. Please note that the version supporting Big Sur will be released on about 4 Dec (This will be a free upgrade, and it'll also support Catalina and Mojave, as the current version does).
Tech Support Is Awesome!
I had a strange problem with this at first. I purchased it but couldn't get past the payment screen. I sent a message to the developer about it and was walked through a couple of procedures that finally got it working. This was all within a few hours of installing it. And as for the app itself--it's perfect. Does exactly what they say--and quickly! Well worth the price!
Developer Response ,
Thank you! App Store usually works great but can be a bit fickle sometimes. Glad it got sorted quickly.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- App Initio Limited
- 7.9 MB
- Requires macOS 10.12 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 App Initio Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Power $54.99
- Power $12.99
- Power Up $41.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.