Careit is a food donation marketplace that matches any organization with extra edible food to a nearby nonprofit. Nonprofits find donations in their area that match their food requirements and set up a pickup or drop off with the donor. All donation details are saved for easy record keeping.
Food donation has never been easier! Whether you’re a business, nonprofit, or municipality, Careit can help you keep our communities fed and our environment greener.
1 in 8 Americans don’t know where they are going to get their next meal. Careit connects the nation's most inclusive network of nonprofits and food generators, so more food is donated to feed our most vulnerable.
LESS GREENHOUSE GAS
Did you know Americans waste over 30% of the food they grow? Food in landfills breaks down into the potent greenhouse gas, methane. Not to mention the wasted water, land, transportation, and labor that results from wasted food.
Donated food can be used for tax deductions. It saves the amount of money spent on waste hauling. And in certain areas, it ensures compliance with new environmental policies that could result in fines.
WHY USE AN APP?
- Donation data helps businesses keep track of their charitable tax deductions and is needed to comply with CA SB 1383 reporting requirements
- Manage all staff and volunteers rescuing and posting donations under one organization-wide account
- Create new donor-nonprofit relationships
- Directly assign a donation to an organization so they get first dibs
- Save time from countless phone calls and emails trying to arrange logistics
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- With Careit, donating food is incredibly easy.
- Create an organization profile (business or nonprofit)
- Add team members
- Create a new food donation: add photos, time, location, whether you'll be delivering or need a pick-up
- Directly assign a donation to a nonprofit of your choice or post for discovery by any local nonprofit
- Charities find and reserve nearby food donations
- Assign reserved rescues to staff or volunteer drivers in your organization
- Record the final details and weights for record-keeping
WHO CAN USE CAREIT?
In the United States, any registered 501C3 nonprofit can create a nonprofit account to find, rescue, and donate food. Any business with an EIN number can sign up to donate food. Any team member of a nonprofit or organization can create an account with an invite activation. And any municipality or corporation with multiple subsidiaries using Careit can contact us at careitapp.com for information about donation record keeping subscription services.
IS IT LEGAL TO DONATE FOOD?
In the United States the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act was created to encourage the donation of food and grocery products to qualified nonprofit organizations and provides liability protection to food donors. More information can be found at https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-104publ210/pdf/PLAW-104publ210.pdf
WILL MY FOOD BE PICKED UP?
When it comes to food donation, the hardest problem is transportation. If a nonprofit has a robust volunteer and staff program, they will most likely be able to pick up your food. Most agencies that feed the hungry are very short handed though. Careit recommends choosing to deliver your food donations whenever possible. When you deliver your food to an agency, not only do you reduce wait time for feeding safe and healthy food to those in need, you also directly volunteer your time and resources to assist your community.
HOW CAN I BE SURE MY FOOD IS SAFE TO EAT?
Prepared foods and meals must be donated only by permitted restaurants, hotels, food processing facilities, food distributors, or catered events.
Donated foods are limited to foods or food portions which have not been previously served to a consumer.
For more information, research your local Health Department's food donation safety guidelines.
Ratings and Reviews
Best free food donation and matching tool!
I’ve helped with various food recovery organizations throughout my life, and no tool is as innovative and accessible as this one. Did I mention it was free?!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Careit Co
- 80 MB
- Food & Drink
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Careit Co
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.