A great resource for those who want to go back and forth between Maya and Christian Calendar dates. No internet connection needed, so it can be in your pocket as you travel through Maya ruins and use it to calculate the Gregorian calendar dates from Maya long counts on monuments.
Maya Calendar gives you the Maya calendar date for today or any date in history – past, present, and future. Convert dates back and forth between the Maya and Gregorian calendars, learn about the various Maya cycles of time, and gain a better understanding of why December 21, 2012 A.D. is an important Maya date.
In addition, this app can calculate your birthday in the Maya sacred calendar and learn what it says about your personality traits and destiny.
Maya Calendar offers these great features:
– The Home Page displays the current day in the Maya Calendar, both in hieroglyphs and in modern text formats.
– “This Day in Maya History” cites a major event in Maya history for almost every day of the year.
– The “Maya Calendars” section provides a detailed explanation of each of the major Maya calendrical cycles, a discussion of the calendar correlation debate, and the thinking behind the possible end date of 2012 A.D.
– The “Calculator” allows you to convert any Gregorian date into its Maya calendar equivalent.
– The “Long Count” feature allows you to convert any Maya Long Count date into its Gregorian calendar equivalent.
– The “Birthdays” feature allows you to calculate and store the Maya birthdays of everyone you know. Once calculated, the app provides a host of information about that individual: personality traits; animal, color, and directional associations; and events in Maya history that occurred on the same date as their birth.
– The “Known Birthdays” feature lists and saves the names of everyone whose Maya birthday you have recorded and notifies you when their birthday comes around.
– “What to Do Today” lists the activities that modern Maya calendar priests recommend for any given day.
Maya Calendar, created by Dr. Ed Barnhart, is an invaluable tool for students investigating Maya inscriptions, and for anyone fascinated with the workings of the Maya calendar.
- Added maya calnder birthday share feature
- App improvements
Ratings and Reviews
I like the Detailed Personality Trait Descriptions in the Birthday Function. Though, When I email the results to myself, I received no contents. It would be nice if there was a search field in the contacts, as well as a most recent tab. It would be nice if the developer included a glossary of common terms associated with the daily calendar.
A General tool for those who know
The Maya calendars are confusing to understand. This app does not really help novices understand what is going on. I personally bought this app thinking it would help me get a better idea of the meaning of the various glyphs and how they relate to each day. In this sense the app fails. I prefer using the free app Tzolkin Explorer. Tekin Tontu seems to give more information on each of the glyphs and how they apply to specific dates. If you are looking for a calendar that gives you an idea of what the day is like, then this is not the app to get. If on the other hand, you are a researcher, then maybe this is the app. Since I'm not a researcher, I have no idea how I would use this app.
I also do not like the birthday interface with my address book. It lists every contact regardless of having a birthday listed. Tzolkin is smart enough to only list contacts with birthdays listed. Also, email sent on persons birthday only says "Happy Birthday". Geez, you would think it would send the additional Maya info for the birthday.
$3 is not a lot of money. However, the free Tzolkin app is much better for impressions of what the days are about.
Problem with interface
I think I know the problem with the flip arrows is. The area that one must tap to have the page flip to the personality/destiny area is far too small. It's too easy to miss the very tiny spot and cause the edit screen to show up please fix this. It's very frustrating. Previous comment: Really fine initial effort. Interface is a little clumsy, but not bad. The arrows that are supposes to flip from the person's info to the personality description/destiny are not working reliably. Sometimes they won't flip at all and all I get is the page to modify the person's name, etc. Please fix.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Edwin Barnhart
- 9.9 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2009 Edwin L Barnhart
- In-App Purchases
- Happy Maya Calendar Birthday! $1.99