The Crossword Solver helps you when you get stuck on a crossword.
Enter the letters you already know, and the blank squares you don't, and let Crossword Solver do the rest!
You can also look up anagrams (paid upgrade with a free trial first).
The Crossword Solver uses a combination of the UK Advanced Cryptics Dictionary and the WordNet® dictionary from Princeton University to find suitable words to fit in the grid.
You can then look up the definitions of each word to see which best matches the clue you are trying to solve.
Definitions from WordNet® are built into the app, so you don't need internet access. You can also look up words in Google's online dictionary if you want more detail.
UK Advanced Cryptics Dictionary is Copyright © J Ross Beresford 1993-2009. All Rights Reserved.
WordNet® licenced from Princeton University.
A new major version, with three of the most requested changes you asked for:
• More words and phrases
The existing word list (UK Advanced Cryptics Dictionary) had about 220,000 words and 30,000 phrases. But the compiler of that word list seems to have moved on to other pursuits, and hasn't updated it since 2009.
So I've taken the WordNet® dictionary from Princeton University, and merged it into my word list, to add approximately 20,000 new words and 50,000 more phrases.
• Partial anagrams
The Anagram Solver now gives you the option to view partial anagrams - i.e. anagrams that don't use all of the letters you enter.
This can help with finding multi-word anagrams (where the phrase isn't a common one listed in the app's word list).
It can also help for word games other than crosswords.
The new behaviour is an option using a switch at the top of the Anagrams page. But if you don't like it, you can leave it turned off :-)
To give everyone a chance to try the new Anagrams mode, even if you haven't yet bought the upgrade, the free trial will be re-activated for 14 days each time I release an update.
You'll see a little badge on the Anagrams tab to show you how many days are left in the trial. The badge will disappear at the end of the trial (or if you buy the upgrade).
• Built-in definitions
I now have definitions built into the app!
The old word list (UK Advanced Cryptics Dictionary) didn't include definitions, so previously I used Apple's dictionary built into iOS to show definitions.
But Apple's dictionary missed a lot of words, and required re-installing whenever they updated iOS, and then became incredibly slow in iOS 13.
The new WordNet® dictionary includes definitions, so I can display them directly in the app without using Apple's dictionary.
A bonus is I can now detect if the WordNet® dictionary has a definition before you look it up. So if there is no definition, I can take you straight to a Google dictionary search (if you're connected to the internet). So there is now just one button ("Definition") which will get you the best definition available.
I hope you like the new dictionary.
Other minor changes:
• I've fixed a bug where the app would prompt you multiple times to leave a review. That must have been so annoying - I'm really sorry. It should now only prompt again if you install an update (after you've had time to check out the new version).
• I've fixed a problem for those of you running iOS 9 or 10 on iPhones. The text boxes would sometimes scroll off the screen. (I'd fixed this bug before for later devices, but it needed a separate fix for older devices.)
• I've added an option to send me a "Technical Report" if you have problems with the app, to help me investigate. You only need to use this option if I ask you for it!
• I've added a button called "I've already paid" to make it more obvious how to download upgrades that you bought on a different device. This used to be called "Restore previous purchases" and was only visible after you tapped "Buy now", which was confusing.
Ratings and Reviews
Great simple helpful app
Just suggests possible words so you've still got to think about the answers. Quick access to definitions as well. A relatively no-frills app perfect for getting unstuck quickly. I tried a few similar apps but this eventually emerged as my favorite.
I use this on Wordscapes when I get stuck. The letters are there but staring at them after a while I start to go crazy I just put one in here and the number of spaces I have and search away. 9 out of 10 times I find what I’m looking for
I love this app
I have tried a couple of others but keep coming back to this one. Thanks
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Richard Loxley Ltd
- 51.3 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2019 Richard Loxley Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- All upgrades $2.99
- Hide adverts $1.99
- Anagram solver $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.