DraftCode includes the standard PHP stack including all PHP extensions typically available on a webserver (MySQL, SQLite, PDO, Curl, OpenSSL, FTP, XML, JSON, SOAP, GD and more). All code execution happens right inside DraftCode and works if your device is offline.
DraftCode by default includes PHP 7.3.16. An additional runtime for PHP 8.0.9 is available as an in App purchase.
(A complete phpinfo output of the current available runtime configurations is available on the DraftCode website, please follow the "Developer Website" link below. Please note that you can review current In-App purchase pricing on this App Store page under "Information" by tapping the triangle next to 'In-App Purchases")
- Execute PHP/JS/HTML/CSS without requiring an internet connection
- Runtime behaves like any webserver, supporting sessions, cookies, AJAX etc.
- Support for selecting custom workspace folder
- Session inspector showing state of current session variables
- Inspector showing PHP errors
- Includes and supports Composer for dependency management
- Internal keyboard support with coding accessory
- External keyboard support with additional keyboard shortcuts
- Multitasking and split-screen support on iPad
- Includes PHP packages like WordPress, Composer and more.
- Built-in preview browser behaving like Mobile Safari
- File workspace including support to zip, unzip, copy, move or duplicate files or folders
- Code import/export from iCloud Drive, other Apps or iTunes file sharing
- Kiosk mode that runs you PHP code fullscreen
- Script mode to run PHP scripts without a web context or timeout
- Integrates with WorkingCopy to connect with GIT
INCLUDED PHP PACKAGES
With just one tap you can run WordPress offline (using the included WordPress SQLite plugin) and develop themes and plugins for the popular platform.
Connect to EXTERNAL MySQL databases (MySQL is NOT included).
Work with local SQLite databases.
Use Composer v.2.1.12 to efficiently manage your dependencies. The package also includes an example project.
For more information and answers to frequently asked questions please head over to DraftCode's website.
- DraftCode is not a webserver and running PHP code is not accessible outside of DraftCode
- DraftCode's runtime currently does not support re-write rules
- A MySQL database is NOT included. (We recommend using SQLite when working completely offline.)
- Fixes a layout issue on iPhone
- Improved workflow when creating new files
Ratings and Reviews
Great start but iOS falls short?
Ok, l know this is a huge undertaking and iOS is severely limited so far as a development tool. What issue this app seems to suffer from is as a developer, I can’t really work on a plugin in WordPress while WP is running.
Pretty ineffective to have to start and stop WP each time to edit a file and then see the result rendered.
Update: I contacted the developer and he has been VERY responsive to my concerns. He has provided some ideas for workflow that seem acceptable. Running web apps on iOS is no small feat. My hope is that this app will be well supported and the product will continue to be updated.
Great start, but has some severe problems
While the app does exactly what it says, there's some things you should know before dropping the 10 bucks:
- You can't Cmd+F or Cmd+G to quickly find strings or lines. This is a huge blow to working on larger documents.
- You can't quickly navigate lines because tapping any line only brings you to the front, and Home/End don't work.
- Scroll position jumps to either the top or bottom of the document every time you switch between files.
- You can't work from an existing workspace folder; you MUST copy a folder into the program's folder in order to work on it, or manually import individual files. That means if you're working on a number of files you have on Dropbox, every edit you make must be manually saved, file by file, back into the original folder.
- And this is made doubly difficult by the fact that copying between the two locations is a nightmare on iOS. I can't even paste my project into the DraftCode folder anymore because I just get an error saying "Couldn't communicate with a helper application". This is actually a Dropbox problem, but it's one that you have to be aware of since you can't work straight from the Dropbox folder.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the detailed feedback. v1.12 should address some of those issues you have raised. If you can spare some time for testing and additional feedback, please get in touch with support.
Good tool for learning PHP on the go
I use it to learn PHP and web development while commuting. Not sure how well it would support a production environment. I want to start learning Laravel too and I am not sure it can be accommodated in this environment. I am amazed at what they did get working in iOS and the product interface is really good and is fast.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Solesignal Limited
- 72.3 MB
- Developer Tools
- Requires iOS 14.7 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.7 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.7 or later.
- Requires macOS 12.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Solesignal Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- PHP 7.2 Runtime $0.00
- PHP 7.3 Runtime $0.00
- PHP 8.0.9 Runtime $3.99