*Note: this version of Brütal Legend is single player only.
Brütal Legend is an action-adventure that marries visceral action combat with open-world freedom. Set in a universe somewhere between Lord of the Rings and Spinal Tap, it’s a fresh take on the action/driving genre, which in this case is full of imitation cover bands, demons intent on enslaving humanity and Heavy metal tunes. Featuring the talents of comedian, actor and musician, Jack Black as super roadie Eddie Riggs, as well as cameos by some of the biggest names in metal music it's a wild ride in the belly of the beast that is not to be missed by gamers and Metalheads alike.
The vivid and wildly creative world of Brütal Legend is brought to life through a spate of chrome, leather, rocker babes, epic music, fire-breathing/stud-wearing beasts, mountains made of guitar amps, and more. Follow Eddie as he embarks on a tour of epic destruction with an axe, a guitar, and his minions as he commands the power of rock in epic band battles. It’s lighter-flicking awesomeness that will melt your face clean off.
Brütal Legend’s combat is a combination of classic action slasher and real time strategy mechanics. Melee and ranged combat come from your double-sided broadaxe and demon-slaying, pyrotechnic-creating guitar. Add that 1-2 punch to a guitar solo mechanic that can summon objects, buff your teammates, or cripple your opponents, and you have a deep, gratifying core gameplay combat loop that is fun for the core gamers and accessible for the casual. On top of that, players will journey from Roadie to Rock God by commanding legions of metalheads into Brütal Victory and sending troops charging into battle.
A Streaming Open World
Brütal Legend gives you the freedom to walk, drive, or fly anywhere in a fully streaming open world whose art style is inspired by some of the most iconic and hilariously rad metal album covers ever created. Every vista in the beautiful universe of Brütal Legend looks like it was pulled from a Frank Frazetta painting.
Packed With Cameos and Voice Talent
Brütal Legend is full of cameos from gods of metal like Lemmy Kilmister, Rob Halford, Lita Ford, and many, many others. It has a MASSIVE metal soundtrack from every era of metal music: 1970’s classic metal to 1980’s hair metal to the scarier cousins of 1990’s metal. And of course, Jack Black pays the ultimate homage to metal as Eddie the Roadie, continuing the theme from the work of his band, Tenacious D and his previous films like School of Rock and High Fidelity.
The music in Brütal Legend is truly massive. Made up of 108 of the most rocking tracks from 75 different bands representing every sub-genre of metal, it is something to experience in and of itself.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
The music alone is fantastic. The story line is simple, fun and enjoyable. The hommage to various rock stars is entertaining. This will certainly be a cult classic game.
This isn’t a deeply thoughtful story-line. Nor does it have technically difficult sub-games or moralistic intent. It’s a simple, fun, nostalgic time-passing game great for de-stressing if you like Black Sabbath, Tenacious D and heavy metal in general. If you purchase this on the mac (which I assume you are), you might want to change the controls around a little. Using a magic mouse, I had to change the middle button control to something else as well as the CTRL key.
I ran this game on a 27” iMac running OSX 10.9 with a AMD Radeon HD 2GB graphics card, 16 GB RAM and a 3.4 GHz i7 core. That’s a 2011 model iMac. I didn’t have a single crash or any other technical problem.
Jack Black's Game Starring Jack Black Playing the Roll of Jack Black
Overall the game is just OK.
The first 20 minutes are pretty hilarious as parody and the way the game does settings is novel and interesting.
The problem is that after that everything else is either mediocre or boring:
- The game does a terrible job of telling you where you need to go and when.
- Much of the backstory has to be hunted down by scouring every corner of the map.
- The initial parody gives way to the game taking itself WAY to seriously, the story suffers because of being taken too seriously as well.
- The car you're given controls terribly, has the turning radius of the Exxon Valdeez, and is more fragile than it appears.
- Your troops control terribly. The commands boil down to "kill everything over there" or "kill everything that tries to go past here." For fans of RTS games this will be a let down.
- Too many gagged dragons to possible find them all without a map, and no reason to try and find them all.
- Late in the game it is too easy for a wandering or random encounter to completely destroy your main character.
- Obvious self-insert charcter is obvious.
Lots of fun
This is a fantastic game. It's funny, it's fun, it's challenging without being frustrating, and it runs flawlessly. The voice acting is spot on, the music is amazing, and the graphics are gorgeous. My only complaint is that the controls for driving are a little odd and take some time to get used to. I also wish that there was a jump button. Both of these things are completely forgivable, however, and the game is still great. I recommend it, especially at the discounted price it's at right now.
- Double Fine Productions, Inc.
- 8.5 GB
OS X 10.6 or later
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Frequent/Intense Profanity or Crude Humor
- Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © and ™ 2013 Double Fine Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.