Touch Notation is a powerful musical score creation app that allows anyone to enjoy writing music using touch gestures.
In Japan, Touch Notation was selected as one of the ‘App Store Best of 2014’ apps, and held the No.1 spot in the iPad Paid App index for music apps for over two weeks.
Up until now, musical score creation software has relied upon dragging individual notes from a palette onto staves. By contrast, Touch Notation allows musicians to draw directly onto the score using a finger or touch pen, and have their work immediately appear as beautifully written notation, then played back using the app’s 30 built-in instrument voices.
- A wide-range of functions accessible from a cleanly designed, intuitive user interface.
- Ability to enter musical expressions for adjusting tempo and dynamics.
- Layout functions such as page breaks.
- Convenient transpose feature for raising/lowering the pitch of the entire score.
- Output scores using Air Print, or save to Dropbox in PDF, SMF, MusicXML, and ScoreMaker formats.
Touch Notation allows the following musical symbols to be entered by hand:
- Note, Rest (including dotted and double-dotted), Long Rest, Beam, Tuplet (Triplet)
- Grace Note
- Accidental, Tie, Slur
- Accent, Staccato, Tenuto, Fermata
- Trill, sfz, Arpeggio, Pedal, Senza
- Metronome symbol
- Crescendo, Decrescendo
- Dynamics symbols (ppp~fff)
- Octave symbol
- Repeat brackets
- Repeat marks (D.C./Fine/D.S./Segno/Coda/to Coda)
- Clefs (Treble Clef/Bass Clef/C Clef/Percussion Clef)
- Key signature
- Time signature
- Bar lines (repeat marks)
Lyrics and other musical expressions (‘Dolce’, ‘Tranquillo’, etc.) can be added using text input, while comments and memos can also be written freehand directly onto the score.
* Drum notation is supported, but other types such as rhythm notation and tab notation are not supported.
* Older devices may experience stuttering when playing complicated scores with many simultaneous notes.
- Fixed a bug that the size of the file created by PDF export may become abnormally large.
- Fixed an issue where natural input might be mistaken for lyrics input.
- Various other bugs fixed.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app - needs update for 2018 iPad Pros
Have been using this app for on the go composing. Very useful once you get comfortable with the input methods. However this needs an update for the new iPad Pros (2018) so the app will display edge to edge. Also with the iPad Pros now supporting midi keyboards, note input via an external midi keyboard would be game changing.
Incredible, the only one of its kind wit handwriting recognition to music notation AFAIK
This app is a sleeper, so useful, especially for leadsheets. the only one that I know of that you can write charts with your finger or a stylus and it will show up as perfect notation. NO DRAG AND DROP NOTES, which is tedious. Copying and pasting notes, bars, even whole sections of the song is so easy. It just takes a minute to get used to aligning your paste to the right note. So many things about this app are intuitive. Being able to resize bars and add an extra bar line is very helpful.
I do have a few suggestions. The main one is to add a white ink pen color (like in ForScore) so that you can use that as an eraser for any pen markings that you might want to edit. The other suggestion is to be able to set a default font and size for text notes, which they call “musical expression”. Sizable D.S. And coda markings…..Rehearsal marks (A, B, C). Also, a single diagonal (1/4 note) slash for rhythm charts.
A powerful tool if you take the time to learn how to use it
Very frustrating at times, but over all this app is very well worth the price for all the features it offers. Devs: please keep working on this! It has huge potential if the kinks can be sorted out.
Easy to use
Great playback function
Works well with Apple Pencil
Very flexible with what and how you write
Gesture recognition is hit-or-miss
Unable to format text
Unable to erase handwriting
In-app videos no longer work after a recent iOS update
For those having trouble copying and pasting: you can copy entire measures by double tapping and dragging to select all the measures you want to copy. Then double tap and drag to highlight an equal number of empty measures where you want to paste your notes. The notation will copy exactly without having to move stuff around.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Kawai Musical Instruments Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- 117.4 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2014-2021 Kawai Musical Instruments Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Chord Name & Automatic Accompaniment $4.99
- Sound Set: Full $4.99
- Handwritten Font $2.99
- Core MIDI Output $2.99
- Sound Set: Piano $0.99
- Sound Set: Brass/Woodwind $0.99
- Sound Set: Strings $0.99
- Sound Set: Guitar/Bass 1 $0.99
- Sound Set: Vocal/Others $0.99
- Sound Set: Bell/Mallet $0.99