Requires sign-in and paid subscription. 14-day free trial.
Voice Dream Reader lets you listen to PDF documents, Web articles, and eBooks using text-to-speech. Although it is designed for people with visual impairment, dyslexia, ADHD, and other reading challenges, everyone can benefit. Your documents become audiobooks, so you can read while you walk, exercise or do chores. For productivity-minded people, with some practice, you can read at twice your sight-reading speed. Unlike audiobooks, you can highlight, take notes, and see the words as they're spoken to improve comprehension and retention.
Voice Dream Reader for iOS is a 2021 Apple Design Award Winner, and it's been featured by Apple as Best New App and App of the Day in 81 countries. Using the award-winning iOS app as building blocks, we wrote Voice Dream Reader Desktop from ground up as a native macOS app with a completely redesigned user interface. The result is a full-featured, desktop-class application fully optimized for the Mac.
"Both experts recommend Voice Dream Reader as the best app in the text-to-speech space." - Wired
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
- Manage all your reading material in one place.
- Organize in folders. Search, filter and sort.
- Keep a Reading List so you never run out of things to read.
- Synchronize your library, reading locations, bookmarks and notes across all your Apple devices.
- Your library stays private on your device, or in iCloud Drive if you synchronize. No-one else has access.
- 75 text-to-speech voices in 27 languages.
- All voices are offline to protect your privacy.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation rules.
- Save speech to audio files.
- PDF, plain text, and Google Docs.
- Text recognition for scanned PDF.
- Skip repeating headers and footers in PDF.
- Web articles via Safari Extension.
- Bookshare books via built-in interface.
- EPUB eBooks. (DRM-free books only. Kindle, iBooks and most commercial eBook platforms are encrypted.)
- DAISY text-based books and audiobooks.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Native access for Dropbox and Google Drive.
- Highlight spoken word to improve comprehension and retention.
- Change font, colors, character and line spacing, and margins.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help with focus.
- Two speed-reading modes: Pac-Man and RSVP.
- Optimized for accessibility including VoiceOver.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Bookmark, highlight and take notes.
- Export highlights and notes.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
Notes for iOS Users
- Only macOS system voices are supported.
- Acapela voices will be available in a future update.
- Ivona and NeoSpeech voices do not run on macOS.
- Word, PowerPoint and RTF support will come in a future update.
- Pocket and Instapaper support is coming soon.
- Evernote does not support third party access on macOS.
Voice Dream Reader Desktop requires a subscription, but we offer a 14-day free trial before you get charged, so you can find out if this app is right for you. The subscription is separate from Voice Dream Reader for iOS. Please visit our blog (http://www.voicedream.com/blog) to find out why this app requires a subscription.
Bug fixes and minor enhancements.
Ratings and Reviews
good as expected, but definitely needs polishing to be at least on par with the iOS version. Keyboard navigation is very lacking (especially using arrows for skipping). Regex rules copied from my iPhone don't work here at all (btw do they still not sync over icloud?). Multiple documents can't be open at the same time for whatever reason. Tabs would greatly help. Drag&Drop doesn't work for moving between folders.
No Acapela Voices Yet
This app would be perfect if it had the more natural sounding voices that the iOS version has. I don't think I can get used to these robotic voices.
Developer Response ,
We're working with Acapela and Readspeaker/NeoSpeech to bring their voices to the Mac. Meanwhile, have you tried Tom or Ava on macOS? They are quite good. Also, make sure you download the enhancements. The instructions are here:
Yay, finally! Thank you! However, I see you can only use the mac voices. I use Voice Dream because it has the Ivona voices, the best out there. Will they be coming to the mac app? I can't buy Ivona voices. I just feels like I will never have that quality on my computer. Also, please add ADYS font! It is a font for dyslexics who read in Cyrrilic.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Voice Dream LLC
- 45.2 MB
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Voice Dream LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Subscription $4.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.