iPGMail is an app that implements the OpenPGP standard (RFC 4880, RFC 6637) and allows the user to create and manage both public and private (RSA, DSA, ECDSA, EDDSA, ECDH) PGP keys and send and receive PGP encrypted messages.
PGP Keys and Messages can be passed to iPGMail several ways:
* From the iOS Mail.app - The iOS mail application will pass PGP attachments to iPGMail directly, eliminating the need to do an awkward copy-and-paste. NOTE: PGP messages that are part of the main body of an email will still have to be copy-and-pasted, only properly tagged attachments can be passed automatically.
* Directly from the system clipboard. Copy-and-paste the PGP message text from any file, webpage, or message, and it can be imported and decrypted by the app.
* iTunes File Sharing - Connect your device to a computer and open up iTunes, in the "Apps" section, you can scroll down and select iPGMail under the File Sharing section and transfer files to and from the app to your computer. Make sure device is unlocked before transferring files!
* AirDrop - Transfer key files from your Mac OS/X system (10.10 or later) to your iPhone/iPad (iOS 7+) using AirDrop feature.
* DropBox - You can link iPGMail to a dropbox account and transfer files to and from your dropbox file space. This means you can encrypt and protect your dropbox files or share files with others through your existing dropbox Public interface.
* Keybase.IO - You can import public keys from http://keybase.io by using the "+" button on the public key listing and then searching for users registered in keybase.io.
iPGMail now allows you to easily reply to encrypted text-based messages and includes the original text with "> " prefixed to the lines. This allows for more email like conversational exchanges, all with strong OpenPGP cryptographic protection.
iPGMail supports PGP key generation (RSA) directly in the app and stores them securely using the iOS keychain for the application. Using your own private PGP keys, you can encrypt and/or digitally sign any messages. Optionally, your public key can be attached to any message you send from the app so that the recipient can then import it into their own keychain, either on the phone or on any computer with PGP support.
iPGMail will import your private keys so you can reuse your existing PGP identity and keys on your iPhone or iPad. Both public and private keys can be imported through the interfaces listed above.
iPGMail allows the user to search public SKS PGP keyservers to find registered public keys for other people with whom the user can then send email that is digitally signed and/or encrypted encoded in OpenPGP ASCII Armor.
This app is ideal for securing your files or for sending secure email messages to specific parties without worrying about it being viewed by anyone other than the designated recipient.
The OpenPGP standard is described here:
* Fixed - CV25519 keypairs now have correct subkey type.
* Updated support libraries
Ratings and Reviews
Pretty Good App ;)
Works overall. Has one minor bug where it won't prompt for the private key password until you switch away from the app to another app and then switch back. Only a pain during setup. Once your private keys are imported, tap them and enable Touch ID so you never have to enter password again.
Has the features most important to me
I maintain a GnuPG encrypted file with important information which I share between my Linux and Windows systems. I want to be able to have access to that file anywhere, especially when I’m traveling, when I have my iPad or iPhone. IPGMail allowed me to copy over my encrypted file to both IOS devices along with my secret key file (which I deleted as soon as I imported it), and now I can decrypt and view the file anytime I need the information in it. Exactly what I needed!
Previously I had been using OpenGP, but that is no longer available in the App Store and doesn’t work on IOS 12.
Much improved over the years
I installed this app years ago but it still had growing pains so I had switched to another. Tried it today and ran through all my tests - it performed admirably, better than the one I was using. Key management, decrypt (decode), encryption, integration with iOS and mail application impressive. Without hesitation, I’ve switched back to this app. Keep up the great work!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Wyllys Ingersoll
- 45.2 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2021 Wyllys Ingersoll
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.