Used by fishermen, firefighters, climbers, military, boy scouts and girl scouts the world over, Knots 3D will teach you how to tie even the most difficult knot in no time!
Product Features and Functions:
- 177 unique knots with new ones added frequently.
- Browse by category or search by name, common synonym or ABoK #.
- Favorites list.
- Landscape and portrait modes as well as fullscreen (Zoom in on a knot to see greater detail).
- Watch knots tie themselves and pause or adjust the speed of the animation at any time.
- Rotate knots in 360 degree, 3D views to study them from any angle with a swipe of a finger.
- Interact with the knot on screen by "scrubbing" over the knot to advance or rewind the animation.
- High res graphics with photo-realistic rope textures.
- Dark mode / Light Mode
- Completely self contained – No permissions or internet required!
- No advertisements! No in-app purchases! No subscriptions! Ever!
Choose from over 175 different knots and see how they are tied in incredible detail. Watch the knot draw itself or use your finger to tie and untie the knot. Its easy to see where the virtual rope goes in and out and around. (Something about a rabbit and a hole and a tree right?) Zoom in on the knot to get a closer look or flip it around for another perspective. Use your finger to spin the knot and see how it looks from any angle in 3D!
Each 3D knot has detailed reference information including tying pointers, strength and reliability, structural info, and Ashley reference numbers (ABoK) and the occasional history behind the knot.
- Essential Knots
- Boating and Sailing
- Search and Rescue (SAR)
- Rope Care
- Theatre and Film
- Friction Hitches
- Quick Release
Grab some rope or paracord and have fun knotting with Knots 3D!
- Performance improvements and bug fixes
- Long press to add knot to favorites
- 13 New Knots(177 total)! Boom Hitch, End-line Prusik, Ground Line Hitch, Lapp Knot, Munter Mule, Quick Hitch, Slipped Constrictor, Slip Figure 8, Slipped Ground Line Hitch, Slipped Lapp Knot, Snap Bowline, Super Munter, Triple Bowline
- New Categories: Caving, Military, Friction Hitches, Quick Release Knots
- Improved searching
- Updates and corrections to histories, synonyms and translations
Ratings and Reviews
The best way to learn a new knot!
I’ve been fascinated with knots since I was a Cub Scout, some 60+ years ago. I still have my first Boy Scout Manual and the only hand notation, in the table of contents, is the word Knots. That’s first thing I wanted to learn, how to tie a good knot.
Knots 3D is the first application I bought, when I got my first iPhone, many years ago. I can’t give you a date, but as I recall, it was around 2011 and there were only about 70 knots in the application, at that time. Now, there’s 126 and I expect that number will continue to slowly increase. I have a large, hard bound copy, of the Ashley Book of Knots and it is an excellent reference, but for most of my needs, for the last several years, Knots 3D has been my go to source for learning, and teaching others, how to tie a good knot. I absolutely love the 3D renderings, in Knots 3D and I consider it to be the very best way to learn a knot. I have gifted this app to many of my friends and family members and will continue to do so.
So, if you want to learn how to tie a good knot, in my opinion this is the best source you’ll ever find.
I Can-Knot tell a lie, This is the best App for Knot-heads!
I really love this application. I've owned this since 2012 and they have done nothing but made it better. It really is the best application to learn about different knots and how to tie them. Because of the ability to slow down and speed up the actual building of the knot, even if you're not very fast at tying knots you can keep up with the example. It also has examples of knots that you really can use and you want to use. Sailors need to know this information and this is the best place to get it, also it you have ever tied down stuff in a trailer, you need it too! I have built almost every knot listed but there are a couple that I still can't tie but it's no fault of the app. 😊 When I first got this it had about forty knots, now there are over one-hundred and twenty. But don't take it from me, just take a look at the reviews for this application. I don't remember ever seeing a program with reviews like this, I mean this baby really rocks!
THE Best Knotting App
I'm a macramè artist, and while I'm proficient with all the knots I "need" for this purpose, I'm also fascinated by all the practical and safety uses of knots. Despite being staunch that "I-will-not-pay-for-apps", the solid reviews and impressive preview images prompted me to take a chance and fork out the $1.99 for this one. After purchasing, I am far more impressed than I thought possible. The history, practical uses, alternate names, and especially the incredible interactive 3-D graphic animation make it totally worth every penny. I especially love that I can control the speed of the animation. Highly recommend, even to those with only a casual interest in knot tying (but is an incredible resource for the more serious ones as well.) Five thumbs up. 👍👍👍👍👍
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- David Boren
- 213 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Arabic, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2011 Nynix LLC
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.