"It's one of those apps that is so good it should be built-in." - TJ Luoma (TUAW)
"You should check it out. It’s pretty frickin’ useful." - Charlie Sorrel (Cult of Mac)
"My beloved, artisanal Remount app finally has an official equivalent." - John Siracusa (Ars Technica)
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY: Please visit our website to try Mountain before you buy it.
UPDATES: Mac App Store customers get the latest version of Mountain for free on our web site.
Living seamlessly in the menu bar Mountain allows you to manage volumes with ease.
● With Mountain you can mount, unmount or eject drives with two easy clicks.
Unmount a single drive or eject all external drives at once. Unmounted drives will be spinned down and can either be unpluged or reactivated in Mountain without the need to unplug the USB cable and re-plug it again.
● Mountain identifies and notifies you about applications that block drives from being ejected and allows you to easily exit the applications.
● Mountain can be set to notify you whenever a drive becomes available or an external device can be safely unplugged . A click on the notification will open the drive in Finder.
● The Mountain menu bar icon will indicate if external volumes are connected or if it is safe to unplug all connections including network connections.
● Resolves an issue which caused showing hidden system volumes.
● Resolves an issue which hindered SD cards to be unmounted
● Resolves an issue which may have caused a delay mounting/unmounting volumes
● Resolves an issue which may have caused a delay showing a volume in Finder
● Resolves an issue which might have caused external HDDs not going to sleep after being unmounted.
● Resolves an issue which caused not to open a mounted volume in Finder although the option was selected in the preferences.
● Improves mistakable descriptions in the preferences.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Terrific App and Support
If you have any issues with external drives this is extremely helpful - especially if they are ever erratic e.g. randomly unmount themselves, or don't remount after they go to sleep. Great for re-mounting drives that are physically connected but don't show in Finder - Mountain recognizes them and can mount them. You don't have to unplug and replug them to get them recognized and remounted.
Developers are extremely responsive, and couldn't be more reasonable. I'm very pleased! I don't usually write reviews, but these guys deserve it. BTW I'm using a MBPro with two FW800 drives daisy-chained; and my 2 kids are using MBAirs w/ the Belkin Thunderbolt Dock connected to USB 3.0 drives, ethernet, and cinema displays. It works well for all of us.
Doesn't function, no way to verify download, repeated crashes forcing reboot
I purchased this from the app store 8 days ago. The first thing I noticed is that nothing worked other than opening a web page stating it needed to be downloaded from a web page. The entire reason the app store exists is so people don't have to download and install from sketchy web pages. I searched for then asked for a verification method. The auto-responder stated they try to respond to all requests within 4 days. I asked them once again, how to verify the download, again, no response. I thought I would give them the benefit of being morons that don't understand why downloads need a method of verification, be it something as weak as a MD5 or as strong as a PGP signed file.
Making a mistake I ran it. It doesn't recognize external drives, then crashes the system when a forced unmount is attempted.
Additionally, Apple refuses to refund!
Wihtout a doubt, the most regretable app purchase I've ever made.
One annoying problem
I have used this app for some time and found it to be very useful. However, there is one annoying problem I cannot find a way to correct- Mountain asks for permission to load Mountain Helper every time I restart my Mac. Oh, and I have been unable to get their support web site to accept my question about this- after checking the Capcha box I am understood to be a robot and rejected. Also, it appears that this app may be no longer in development by the owners- the last update here in the App Store shows to be 6 years ago.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.