OceanTrack is the ultimate marine navigation app for iOS, providing real time instrument reading, AIS traffic and passage information. With worldwide built-in map coverage, the ocean is the limit. Traffic awareness features allow you to stay safe and sail safely whether you're entering a busy shipping lane or sailing in the middle of the Pacific without Internet connectivity.
Developed and tested on a real sailing vessel, OceanTrack makes use of a combination of the device's internal GPS and Compass sensors to provide instant data on current position, speed over ground, course and heading, plotted on a stylish navigation Display.
With Cloud AIS, providing you have Internet connectivity and there is land AIS coverage, OceanTrack comes with complimentary AIS information data with thousands of ships sailing around the world at any given moment. See ships anywhere and tap on them to discover who they are, how far they are or where they're going.
Through NMEA, OceanTrack can also connect to your boat's systems via an NMEA-to-WiFi bridge / server, collect real-time data from multiple onboard sensors, AIS receivers, and display accurate information on position, boat speed, depth below keel, wind speed and direction and surrounding marine traffic amongst other things.
OceanTrack includes an advanced Multi Function Display and Map (MFD) with:
- GPS Position Information
- Speed Over Ground, Course Over Ground, Heading
- Speed over Water, Depth Below Keel
- Apparent and True Wind Speed and Direction
- Beaufort Scale Estimation on screen
- DTW, BTW, XTE and VMG when next waypoint is available
- Dynamic zoomable range
- Built-in moving map for use when offline and offshore; the whole world is included, no need to download it
- Support for AIS-SART, AIS-MOB and AIS-EPIRB devices, plotting Man Overboard (MOB) positions on screen with relative bearing, distance and time to reach - a life saver!
- Plotting of AIS targets including ships, navigation aids, shore stations and Search and Rescue (SAR) aircrafts
- On-Map measurement of range, bearing and ETE at current speed to any point
- Quick multi-hop tap-hold-and-drag route planning anywhere in the world
- AIS info including Name, MMSI, SOG, COG, RNG, BRG
- AIS directed and broadcast messages display and alerts
- Advanced calculation of CPA and TCPA to any AIS ship
- Selection of rhumb-line (loxodromic) or great-circle (orthodromic) navigation
- Mercator Projection
- Various unit selections and display formats
- Portrait and Landscape orientations on iPad
access to onboard instruments with:
- An NMEA decoder to interface with onboard AIS receivers
- NMEA on TCP and UDP interfaces
- NMEA support for VDM, RMC, GSA, GSV, GLL, VTG, GGA, HDT, HDG, VHW, DBT, DPT, MWV, MTW and RMB sentences
and an AIS engine with:
- List of all surrounding AIS vessels sorted by distance
- Detailed AIS information on vessels including all static and dynamic performance indicators (MMSI, position, SOG, COG, country, dimensions, ...)
OceanTrack is iOS only and universal for any iPad, iPhone and iPod touch running iOS 9.0 or later.
To access onboard instruments and surrounding AIS traffic (other than cloud AIS which has limited coverage and requires Internet connectivity), OceanTrack requires a WiFi network, an NMEA to WiFi server and the NMEA Connector inApp purchase. Most modern plotters provide this bridging and WiFi funcionality nowadays but should they not, NMEA to WiFi adapters can usually be installed separately to provide access.
Includes iOS 14 and hardware support improvements.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Could use a help page, or some for of documentation so the user is not left to stumble around in the dark.
Difficult to write a review, when virtually NOTHING shows up on the SHIPS screen, and there is no documentation to help. According to this app, there are NO SHIPS in the Caribbean, as far as I can tell.
The description on the App Store is rather, shall we say, “generous”, with references to “navigation”.
Would expect to be able to create a “fleet” of known ships to be followed.
Would like to improve the rating, once there is a meaningful effort to provide documentation. As is, I can only give it o e star, because the heading information and current geographical coordinates displayed.
Developer Response ,
Firstly, we're sorry for the difficulty in using it.
Please refer to the website http://haversine.com/oceantrack set of pages for the respective documentation, there are a few pages which explain what each thing is and how you can use them.
The list of SHIPS (and corresponding plotting of them on the map) will appear if you are either connecting to an NMEA AIS received on your own vessel of if you are in an area where there is cloud coverage and you're connected to the Internet. It may have happened that the cloud service was down when you tried it or that you were zoomed into an area without AIS cloud coverage; note that this service is complimentary and is provided by contributors from all around the world and does not necessarily cover everywhere. Please pan and zoom in on the map to find an area with significant traffic and coverage.
Please note that the main purpose of the app is to connect to your own set of devices using NMEA and as such display them in the data section (wind speeds, depth, coordinates, BTW, and so on) for which you need specific equipment. In the absence of this equipment it will display what is possible with the device you're using which tends to be GPS information, course, speed over ground and heading.
Hope this clarifies somehow and you're able to try it again and see the SHIPS and other navigation aids on the map as they are supposed to appear.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Haversine Ltd
- 183.8 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Haversine Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- NMEA Connector $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.