Outline is an easy way for you to set up your own virtual private network (VPN) server to more safely access the open internet and keep your communications private.
If you have received an access key, download the Outline app to get started.
If you haven’t received an access key, you’ll first need to set-up your own server. Get started by downloading the Outline Manager from getoutline.org. Creating your own server is quick and easy, and instructions in the Manager will guide you through each step.
How Do I Set Up Outline?
- Outline consists of two related products: the Outline Manager and Outline.
- The Outline Manager lets you create and operate your own VPN, and share access with anyone you choose by sending them an invitation directly from the Manager. Once you’ve downloaded the Manager, you can easily set up a VPN server on a cloud provider in less than five minutes.
- After setup is complete, you can download the Outline app on your phone and desktop.
- Share internet access with coworkers or friends by inviting them directly from the Manager.
- If you’ve received an access code from someone using an Outline Manager you’re all set! Just download the app and get started.
Why use Outline?
- Fast, reliable access to the open internet, powered by the Shadowsocks protocol
- Allows you to create and maintain your own VPN server and provide access with those you trust
- Strong encryption keeps your communications private
- Completely open source and audited by a nonprofit security firm
- Error messaging for unsupported ciphers
- Reduce server card size when there are multiple servers
- Add language selection screen
- Network stability improvements
- Fix app version not displaying
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Best VPN for China & rest of world
After getting past the setup and if you can follow a few simple technical instructions, this is by far the best VPN client for China. Easily can get around the Great Firewall and switch servers/locations with a breeze. You can even setup on 3rd party machines that are not even cloud hosted, for example a simple Raspberry Pi server at home with the proper port forwarding to get a real experience and access local channels, regional-restricted content such as Netflix, etc... highly recommend this client server manager setup.
Works in China
The setting up bit can be a little confusing, I won't recomen this to somoene who wants a 100% user friendly user product. BUT, if you want reliable VPN in China this is one of the best options out there, better than the big companies like Express or Astrill. The only downside so far for me is that its constantly detected by Netflix. Other than that is a pleasure to use.
One of the best VPN experience in China
Outline is easy to set up, and operates smoothly in China, one of the most cencored country in the world. I like it especially because
1) its server side is easy to set up;
2) its client side also tunnels DNS queries; and
3) its client has no ads and isn’t intrusive at all — it simply works in the background.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.