PDX Bus is an award winning application that displays arrival times for public transport in Portland, Oregon.
** PDX Bus won Best in Show at the CivicApps.org awards **
This app uses the Internet to quickly access TriMet's live tracking data to display arrival times perfectly formatted for the iPhone. It allows you to bookmark frequently used stops, displays recently accessed stops, and gives details for arrivals which are en-route.
You can enter the stop "id" of the stop (as displayed at each stop or station) or you can browse the routes for the stop.
- Interactive rail maps, showing the MAX, WES and Streetcar stops.
- Embedded maps, showing locations of stops, and when available, the last known position of the bus or train.
- Use GPS to locate nearby stops or rail stations.
- Browse routes and stops, show an entire route on the map.
- Links to TriMet route information.
- Displays Rider Alerts, and Detours.
- A "Nighttime visibility flasher" - a flashing screen that can be used at night so that drivers can see you. TriMet suggests holding up a cell phone to make yourself visible to bus drivers.
-Trip Planning - now you can use the same trip planning feature that is available on TriMet's web site.
- Specially formatted text to work with the iPhone 3GS VoiceOver accessibility feature to speak arrivals.
- QR code reader to read codes at bus stops and stations
Route and arrival data provided by permission of TriMet.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Note: this free application was developed as a volunteer effort to provide a service for TriMet riders, the developer has no affiliation with TriMet, or Apple. Suggestions and feedback are welcome.
11.4.1 (January 2021)
- Updated the fonts on departures; re-aligned the alert text.
- Departure details now show the long description of the route and have bigger times.
- Reworked the pins and callouts on the maps.
- Stop names are now sorted correctly (e.g. NW 5th Ave comes before NW 10th Ave).
- iOS 14 updates
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Has everything I need!
As a daily TriMet commuter, I rely heavily on this app. The features are easy to access once you learn your way around, and the data is completely reliable. Can’t believe the developer created this for free; it’s brilliant! Unfortunately I haven’t been able to use it for a few weeks, and have been trying to reach the developer for help. Just bought a new iPhone 11 thinking the problem was my old phone, but still can’t get the app to work. The TriMet website is horrible to use (they don’t even have an app for tracking/trip planner) and I can’t wait to be able to use this is a app again. The other available TriMet apps are disappointing, too - don’t bother!
Developer Response ,
Unfortunately it is hard to do customer support via the review process. It seems like a connectivity issue specific to your device, as I am not aware of a wider issue. I can try to look into it if you contact me with more info. Thanks!
Great features but...
I love PDX bus. I've been using it for almost 5 years, it's amazing! Although I like these, it is lacking just one or two features I want. Although it includes the trip ID (or block), it does not include vehicle numbers, which would seem like a easy feature to implement, would help me out so much!! I like seeing what vehicle type I ride, because they all are slightly different)
I hope that your able to implement it (because the current way to access vehicle numbers are very hard to find), but again, very easy to implement. Thanks!
Developer Response ,
I added this feature in version 11.0, released last week! :-) the app now uses the new data feed from TriMet which has this data.
Vastly Improved App
The app is much better than it used to be. I use it daily to identify where and when the nearest MAX train will arrive and whether there are any delays. The only issue I see is sometimes the app will show a train is coming or due, and no train comes. All if the busses and trains have GPS, and it seems odd that the app would not have 100% accurate location data. Having said that, this seems to happen very rarely. One feature I would like to see is the ability to set custom alerts, e.g. notify me 10 minutes before the next red line train is due to arrive at X station.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Andrew Wallace
- 13.6 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 and watchOS 3.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2008-2018 A R Wallace
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.