"When all you want is the digital equivalent of a paper diary, this is the perfect one." - goyyboy (5 stars)
"Loving the lighthearted feel of this deceptively powerful app." - plinkplok (5 stars)
"Exactly what I needed" - (multiple reviews)
Need a simple, free, and easy to use journalling app? Meet Personal Diary!
With no advertisements, limitations nor any upfront cost, Personal Diary is your simplest and best journalling tool yet. Easily access all your entries in all your devices with iCloud Sync. Write diary entries without worrying that someone will peek at what you wrote, with passcode & biometric protection. Forgot about your diary? The app can 'summon' you back with a friendly nudge. You can also import as many photos as you wish into your entries. As an optional addition, you can set your mood and the weather, or automatically by an AI if you prefer.
*This app is developed and is managed by Wern Jie, 17.
- Numeric passcode lock (any number of digits).
- Unlock using Touch ID on supported devices.
- Auto-saves as you type.
- Simple & Easy to use.
- iCloud Sync.
- Smart Search.
- Ability to pick a mood.
- Ability to choose the weather of the day.
- Mood & Weather can be automatically chosen.
- Import photos to your entries.
- Select a theme to suite your style.
- Dark Mode support for better night use.
- Simple Rich Text editing supported.
- Daily Notifications for writing in your diary.
- NO Ads & absolutely FREE! :D
*Some features may not available on the Apple Watch. All features for editing and viewing all your entries such as the Timeline view are fully supported on the watch, except for previewing images.
Don't forget to let me know what you think of Personal Diary by leaving a review on the App Store! Reviews and ratings help and let other users find this app. If you have any problems or questions, feel free to send a feedback; I might be able to help! :)
- Please do not forget your password. If you forget your password and your identity cannot be verified, you may not be able to access your data.
This app allows you to tip/donate to directly support the development of this app through in-app purchases. No new features will be provided when you tip, it's just to support the app's development if you would like to. Selecting a Small/Medium/Large Tip will initiate a one time payment for tipping. A Continuous Tip is automatic-renewal subscription to tip every month, and will renew automatically every month unless it's turned off or cancelled (through your account settings) at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. For this, your iTunes account will be charged when payment is confirmed, and charged for auto-renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period at the selected price.
- Added support for iOS 14.2, iPadOS 14.2, and macOS Big Sur.
- Personal Diary is now a Universal Mac app, supporting Macs with Apple Silicon natively.
- Resolved an issue where passcode screen may not block the entire app.
- Patches a bug where the search bar is invisible in dark mode on macOS.
- Re-added the button to export images which went missing in the last update.
- Fixes a bug where exporting might miss out on the latest entry.
- Fixes an issue where printing cannot be done on the Mac app.
- Fixes an issue where the search bar does not take in spaces when typing with a physical keyboard.
- Significantly improved responsiveness and performance of the Timeline for large diaries with more than half a thousand entries.
- Fixes an issue where resizing the window while in the Timeline pane on macOS may cause the app to freeze for a few seconds.
- Reduced some AI functionality temporarily as it was discovered to be causing too much of a hit in performance.
- Improved app performance on macOS Big Sur.
- Reduced data export size limits.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Exactly what I was looking for!!!
I’d been looking for a simple-to-use, basic journaling app to record daily thoughts and this app is PERFECT for just that. I love that you can include photos and with iCloud backup, it easily syncs to my other Apple devices. The reminder option is helpful, and like that I have the option to turn it on/off. The fact that this app has NO ADS and is FREE is awesome. It’s an elegantly simple, yet very useful app. Writing things down can be so therapeutic especially during these unprecedented times; whether its a lengthy entry, or just a few words or lines. Life goes by in such a blur and I’m glad to have found a quick way to record and look back on my own impressions of daily life. My thanks to this app’s brilliant young creator, keep up the good work! 😁
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your review! I really appreciate the feedback.
If you have any problems (hopefully not) or want to ask any further questions, feel free to send me an email. I'd be happy to help!
- Wern Jie
Great Free app
Was looking for a free replacement with iCloud sync for Day One and found this little gem! I call it little but it actually does all I need, which includes inserting photos and the weather for the day. Diary is easy to use and syncs across my iPhone and iPad without issue. I really don’t like having to sign up for extra cloud services so the iCloud sync was the most important feature I was looking for in a journaling app. No ads and no pressure to pay but the option is there if you want to use it as I did. I’m sure that, like any programmer, the author will probably make changes over time. Just hope he keeps it nice and simple like it is now.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the feedback, and glad you enjoyed using Personal Diary! :D
Feel free to send me an email from within the app if you have any questions.
- Wern Jie
Good app, bad update!
I've always really liked this app. It's a really good place to store all my personal entries, and it's been nothing but reliable. The app was perfect...until the recent update came out. My app now laggs when I scroll down through my entries so much that it takes 1-2 minutes to actually reach the bottom of my entry page, and even then, the app sometimes crashes from the lagg. Not only that, but when I'm writing a new entry and want to scroll back up to fix something, it automatically scrolls right back down to where the cursor is, which is quite frustrating. Whenever I tap an area in the entry to edit it, the cursor doesn't appear in the area I tapped, but the lowest point in the entry. Please fix these errors, and most of all, fix the lagg, as it's becoming unbearable.
Developer Response ,
Sorry for your experience with the app. I've fixed all of these issues in version 2.4.1, but I'll need more information about the lag:
- Are any of the entries being downloaded? If so, it might temporarily degrade the app's performance. Once everything is downloaded, it should be fine. Is that the case?
FYI, other than the lag (which no one experienced before), all the other issues you reported have already existed since the a few versions before, and again, they're already fixed in version 2.4.1. Please try updating to the latest version of the app and see if that helps.
Hope to hear your reply!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Eng Tat Lim
- 3.6 MB
macOS 10.15 or later. Requires iOS 9.0 and watchOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2015 - 2020 Wern Jie Lim
- In-App Purchases
- Medium Tip $2.99
- Continuous Tip $1.99
- Large Tip $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.