PlaceTrack is a modern, powerful, full-featured location journaling and sharing app for iPhone. It keeps a history of your locations with speed, course, altitude, and user activity data, lets you track your loved ones, check the speed they are travelling, get directions to their current location or view a street level picture of any place they are or they have been. You can also overlay and compare your contacts location against a GPX track: import from files, Strava or Apple Watch workout routes (the app integrates with HealthKit)
Main features include:
- safe location sharing with the people you trust, in real time
- live data: force a contact’s device to immediately send a fresh location
- passive and battery friendly: run in the background with no noticeable impact on battery life, location is periodically updated as the device moves
- context data: location data can include location history, speed and course, altitude, whether you’re walking, running, moving in a vehicle or resting
- you are in control: set who sees your current location or who has access to your location history with fine-grained access controls
- excellent battery usage: PlaceTrack uses SLC mode (Significant Location Change) and region monitoring, NOT continuous background. PlaceTrack is suspended in the background most of the time and is woken up only when you move significantly (detected using cell towers signal); most of the time it just sleeps and the GPS hardware is powered off to preserve battery. Install the app and forget about it
- save your location history for later viewing
- optionally share your recent location or location history with authorized PlaceTrack contacts
- forced contact location updates: you can ask for a live location update from a contact and the backend platform will silently ask your contact device for a new location update
- delayed sync: stores your locations when network is unreachable and pushes them to the PlaceTrack servers when you're back online
- in-app streetview images
- track overlays: import route data from Apple Watch, Strava and GPX files
- location sharing works using address book phone numbers: your phone number is authenticated through an sms code on your first activation
- your data, including your phone number and location, is always sent on a secure connection (ssl) and is never shared with any third party
- drop pins persistence and minor bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Absolutely the Best!
If you are even debating buying this then just buy it. Hands down the best location app for multiple reasons:
1) This app takes battery life seriously unlike every other location app out there including Google's own Latitude app. I do not even notice a dip in my battery life with this running in the background.
2) Accuracy is not sacrificed. Somehow the location accuracy is perfect even though I use the default GPS timeout which to me is the most important part of the app and something no one else has.
3) Offline support! Personally, I like having every point saved and with this app you get that! Even if you have no data it will monitor your GPS changes and push them online once you have a data connection.
Lastly, the developer is quick to fix bugs and adds features all the time!
perfect after the ios4.2 update
I really like this app. it's perfect for road trips. its ui and icons could use tweaking but otherwise works as advertised. ability to fine-tune update frequency is super nice.
for those complaining about background update not working there was an iOS bug in 4.1 which is fixed in 4.2
Flawless on iOS v4.0
This works great if you are running iOS v4.0. Yes it cashes on v4.1, but the Developer has notified Apple of the crashing issues and it should be fixed when v4.2 comes out. Once this is fixed you'll love this app. If you're not on v4.1 yet, I'd buy it, but if you are, you should wait for an update to resolve the crashes.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Other Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Nico Tranquilli
- 23.1 MB
- Requires iOS 14.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.1 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2010-2022 Nico Tranquilli
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.