PuppetMaster: Animate. Literally. Anything.
PuppetMaster is an animation app for kids, where you can bring to life any image, just by acting things out in front of the camera or touching the screen. Your voice is recorded as well. The result is your own animated video you can save and share!
Take a drawing you made, a photo of one of your toys, even a person or animal - and use it as a puppet in PuppetMaster. Move and talk and the puppet will come to life and do what you do. Or drag with your fingers on the screen to move the puppet that way.
Try animating something unexpected, like your favorite snack arranged in your plate like a character!
Mix and match with existing puppets and backgrounds that come with the app, in a fun hand drawn style to go with your own artwork.
You can even animate two puppets together, so they can have a conversation!
PuppetMaster was named a best app of 2018 for Teaching and Learning by the American Association of School Librarians. Project ideas and lesson plans are available on the website.
* Motion capture - intuitively animate characters just by moving your body in front of the device camera.
* Multi-touch - animate by touching and dragging the puppet and its body parts on the screen. You can use both hands, all your fingers, or animate together with a friend.
* Create your own puppets and backgrounds - Bring to life your artwork, your toys, or anything you like! Use a painting you made, a diorama, or any interesting place as your background.
* Choose from our designs if you'd like - We have lots of designs for you to choose from, for puppets and backgrounds.
* Export videos with audio - Save a video of your puppet show, complete with the audio of your performance. It will show up in your Photos, and from there you can share it however you like.
You asked for features, so we made them:
* You can now animate your own puppets' legs! Make your artistic creations, or your toys, kick their legs and dance.
* You can also now scale the puppets up and down before you begin an animation. Make a tiny one, a huge one, or one of each and have them talk to each other.
Ratings and Reviews
Great Productivity App
To begin, this app is wonderful for all learners, but especially elementary because of the wonderful TOS and it is FREE without commercials.
It allows students to show what they have learned by using or creating a puppet and background image. The content can easily be changed by changing your background image. Great for App Smashing.
Another favorite feature is that students can record in any language and they are not confined to 30 seconds.
Last, videos save to the camera roll. That means it can be shared and uploaded to Google Drive and Google Classroom.
It’s a good one!
Using your own puppets is a major headache!
I noticed that when I upload my own personal puppets (that have transparent backgrounds by-the-way) instead of the app actually allowing you to use your puppet as is, the app CONCEALS the puppet behind a grey filter and you have to literally remove that grey filter by unshading a puppet that is already drawn! The result is an ugly rough edged messy joke from what was originally uploaded. You're adding an ugly grey background to an image that has no background! So how does the app developer upload/ install their own puppet presets with a CLEAN transparent background??? Because I don't see any tacky, rough edges on their puppets 🤨🧐. (I don't want to use the puppets that are preinstalled; I have my own puppets.)
Developer Response ,
Hi! Thanks so much for your feedback. We don’t currently support images with transparency, but we would love to try and add that for advanced users like yourself! I apologize for the inconvenience you’ve experienced in the meantime. At the moment, many of our users are kids who are simply photographing a craft project or toys to use as a puppet.
Much like this crafty example - https://youtu.be/c2qb6Wwc4rk
As you can see, the brush size can also be changed, which helps get more details edges when the user wants to.
The kids get very cute results even without very detailed edging - painting slowly with a slightly larger brush size can help any rough edges, and if you do have a solid background, then painting a bit over the edge can give a cute little border.
Btw I do have some workarounds for when I want a super accurate edge and I do have transparency or a very solid background - like using a solid keyable background in the puppet image, painting the puppet roughly and with a lot of extra margin, then animating on that same color keyable background (e.g. green screen) and keying the result... I would love to be in touch and show you what I mean, or just update you when we have some new advanced features relating to puppet edges. Thank you again for your feedback!
Totally Awesome App
My teacher showed this app to me. I love it. I have created great puppet shows all by myself. It is super easy to use and makes it look so professional when you are finished. If you like to create cool things with a computer then this app is for you! You HAVE to try it!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.