PuppetMaster: Animate. Literally. Anything.
This animation app lets you instantly bring to life anything you want, just by acting things out in front of the camera or touching the screen. Your voice is recorded as well. The result is your own animated video you can save and share!
The app even has fun guided activities that kids can follow along and do, making arts and crafts and then animating them.
* Real-time animation - you animate in the moment, while you talk, and your puppet comes to life in front of your eyes.
* Motion capture - intuitively animate characters just by moving your body in front of the device camera. Use front or back camera. (Best results are usually with back camera of newer devices.)
* Multi-touch - animate by touching and dragging the puppet and its body parts on the screen, even using both hands or working together with a friend.
* Animate one or two puppets - you can have one puppet on its own, or two puppets where both can move and you can control which one is talking at any time.
* Create your own puppets - bring to life your physical artwork, your favorite toys, a person or animal, random stuff like your snacks arranged as a character, really anything you like!
* Create your own backgrounds - use a painting you made, a diorama, some interesting place, or anything else you want as your background.
* Choose from our designs - the app comes with a bunch of cool puppets and backgrounds already in it, in a cute hand drawn style that you can mix and match with your own creations.
* Export and share videos with audio - save a video of your puppet show, complete with the audio of your performance, locally and also to social media, cloud storage, or any other typical sharing method.
* In-app streaming tutorials and activities - guiding kids through using the app for visual storytelling, and teaching them how to create various physical art pieces and animate them.
On our website and social media you'll find more project ideas, educational support, and lesson plans for teachers and homeschooling parents.
PuppetMaster was named one of the Best Apps for Teaching and Learning by the American Association of School Librarians. It's a great open ended creative activity for children, supports ISTE standards, and is a great way to integrate the arts into any academic subject for a more engaging class. (Teachers say they prefer it to stop motion animation because it's so much easier and faster.)
ALL NEW! We've added several things you users asked for:
* New and improved motion capture for newer devices - we take advantage of Apple's latest and greatest capabilities to track your motion from the back camera, so you can make your puppet move better than ever!
* Now you can use either back or front camera to track your motion and make your puppet move.
* Much smaller app size for easier download and less space taken up on your device.
* Some visual improvements.
Thanks to you users for telling us what you want, and please feel free to reach out on our site any time with more requests!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Awesome as usual
This app has been constantly improving albeit slowly due to the time and energy it takes to build these apps. The developer is a cool mom and entrepreneur. I still have trouble on my iPad Pro (original) where the gyro won’t adjust and I have to turn my iPad upside-down. Also, would love to see us be able to use transparent pngs so we don’t have to cut. Excellent app! Keep rockin’!
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for your kind words! Is it wrong that my favorite thing is that you called me "cool"? :) I'm so glad you like the improvements, and yes I definitely plan to do the png thing. I'm just trying to finish up some other stuff that was requested before that. Also, I wasn't aware of the issue with having to turn your iPad upside down. Please feel free to email me at email@example.com for follow-up - I'll try to figure that out and address it. Plus I'd love to see what sort of things you're making! And I can share with you some workarounds for the lack of transparency support, which you may find helpful in the meantime. Thanks again, I'll keep at it and I hope you continue to enjoy it.
Using your own puppets is a major headache!
I noticed that when I upload my own personal puppets (that have transparent backgrounds by-the-way) instead of the app actually allowing you to use your puppet as is, the app CONCEALS the puppet behind a grey filter and you have to literally remove that grey filter by unshading a puppet that is already drawn! The result is an ugly rough edged messy joke from what was originally uploaded. You're adding an ugly grey background to an image that has no background! So how does the app developer upload/ install their own puppet presets with a CLEAN transparent background??? Because I don't see any tacky, rough edges on their puppets 🤨🧐. (I don't want to use the puppets that are preinstalled; I have my own puppets.)
Developer Response ,
EDITED TO UPDATE: we’ve just released a version with support for transparency - you can import a png file with transparency and that transparency will be respected! So you can paint quite roughly with a large brush behind the puppet edges, and your original clean edges will be preserved. Your result will be the intersecting area of what you paint and what is non-transparent in your original image. Please give it a try and let me know what you think - firstname.lastname@example.org
(Below is our original response:)
Hi! Thanks so much for your feedback. We don’t currently support images with transparency, but we would love to try and add that for advanced users like yourself! I apologize for the inconvenience you’ve experienced in the meantime. At the moment, many of our users are kids who are simply photographing a craft project or toys to use as a puppet.
Much like this crafty example - https://youtu.be/c2qb6Wwc4rk
As you can see, the brush size can also be changed, which helps get more details edges when the user wants to.
The kids get very cute results even without very detailed edging - painting slowly with a slightly larger brush size can help any rough edges, and if you do have a solid background, then painting a bit over the edge can give a cute little border.
Btw I do have some workarounds for when I want a super accurate edge and I do have transparency or a very solid background - like using a solid keyable background in the puppet image, painting the puppet roughly and with a lot of extra margin, then animating on that same color keyable background (e.g. green screen) and keying the result... I would love to be in touch and show you what I mean, or just update you when we have some new advanced features relating to puppet edges. Thank you again for your feedback!
Great Productivity App
To begin, this app is wonderful for all learners, but especially elementary because of the wonderful TOS and it is FREE without commercials.
It allows students to show what they have learned by using or creating a puppet and background image. The content can easily be changed by changing your background image. Great for App Smashing.
Another favorite feature is that students can record in any language and they are not confined to 30 seconds.
Last, videos save to the camera roll. That means it can be shared and uploaded to Google Drive and Google Classroom.
It’s a good one!
Developer Response ,
I wanted to say thanks for your positive review, and also for pointing out that the resulting videos can be shared! I hope you continued to enjoy it, and please feel free to share any cool stuff you or your students have made :) Thanks again!! (you can always email me to share anything or discuss - email@example.com goes right to me) Thanks again!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.