StopTheMadness Mobile 4+
Take back your web browser
StopTheMadness is a Safari extension that stops web sites from making your browser harder to use. And it protects your privacy on the web. StopTheMadness is not an ad blocker: it offers unique features not available from ad blockers or any other apps. StopTheMadness is one of a kind!
Made by indie developer Jeff Johnson. The support link has documentation and my email address.
Many web sites deliberately disable user interface features in Safari that you normally expect to work. StopTheMadness re-enables those features for you in Safari:
• opening contextual menus
• selecting, copying, cutting, and pasting of text
• drag and drop
• AutoFill/autocomplete of passwords, emails, etc.
• 2-finger click to open a link in a new tab
StopTheMadness also protects your privacy on the web:
• Stops Google AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages). Automatically loads the original "canonical" web site page instead of Google AMP.
• Removes tracking tags such as utm_source, gclid, and fbclid from the end of URLs.
• Stops clickjacking in Google Search, Gmail, Facebook, and DuckDuckGo.
• Stops hyperlink auditing by removing the anchor "ping" attribute on link clicks.
• Stops tracking beacons (Navigator.sendBeacon).
• Stops sites from using the Page Visibility API to know when a tab is visible on your screen.
• Stops URL shorteners. Checks the links you click in Safari for well-known link shorteners — bit.ly, tinyurl.com, t.co (used by Twitter), etc. — and loads the unshortened destination URL instead of the shortened URL. This occurs without setting any cookies or other site data, so you can't be tracked by your click.
• Stop videos from autoplaying. This works even on sites where Safari doesn't stop autoplay, such as YouTube. Also stops videos from following you down the page when you scroll on many sites.
• Automatically skip YouTube video ads.
• Stop sites in Safari from pausing your audio in a background app such as Apple Music.
• Show native video controls. Use Picture-in-Picture from Safari on sites that don't normally support it, including YouTube.
• Automatically select web video speed. Speed up videos, or slow them down.
• Automatically select video quality on YouTube.
• Hides the annoying popup banners prompting you to get the app on Google, Google Maps, DuckDuckGo, IMDb, Instagram, Quora, Reddit, and Tumblr. Also hides "Sign in with Google" banners on all sites.
• Font replacement. Substitute one font for another on web pages, such as Helvetica for Arial and Courier for Courier New.
• Custom URL redirects. Redirect new Reddit to old Reddit, Twitter to Nitter, YouTube to Invidious, etc. You can create any redirect that you want.
• Stop keyboard page zoom. Stops the page from zooming in when you show the software keyboard.
• Enable pinch-to-zoom on sites that prevent it, such as old reddit.
• Stops "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" alerts. Close your tabs without getting stopped by the site.
• Force links to open in the current tab instead of a new tab. Remove target="_blank" from links so that they no longer automatically create a new tab.
• Force links to open in a new tab instead of the current tab. This is great if you're scrolling through a list of links and want to open each one in a new tab.
• Force images to the front. Bypass the transparent overlay on sites such as Instagram that prevents you from dragging and opening the contextual menu on images.
• Warns when you paste or type beyond the maximum length in a password field or other text field. Stops you from accidentally losing characters.
• Edit Tab URL: Instead of struggling to edit a URL in the Safari address bar, edit the URL in a large editing field, with buttons to remove the URL query, copy the URL, or open the URL.
New in version 16.1:
• Stop repeating timers: No longer allows the timer to run the first time if the interval is longer than 5 seconds.
• Hide Page Element: Fixed an issue where the element selection dialog could bypass Stop autoplaying videos.
New in version 16.0:
• New feature: Hide Page Element. Allows easy selection of elements on web pages to hide permanently.
• New website option: Stop scroll to text fragment. Stops links from automatically highlighting text when the page loads.
• New website option: Stop repeating timers. Stops web pages from updating themselves while they're open.
• New website option: Protect private windows. Stops the web page from detecting that you're viewing it in a Safari private window.
Ratings and Reviews
Saving the web from Madness
Unique Outstanding Design App!
Well I am out taking a walk to get some fresh air, but my ole Bones feels it’s time to take a break and talk about this great outstanding Design App that the Developer has created for you myself and our family. Never thought Security would be so important today, but Crooks have created words like Scam Spoof and so on! They are not stupid they change things hoping to get your money and Identity. The Developer put this unique Software into play to help us stop the Fraud that Hits us everyday. The Developer has put a great deal of time hard work and dedication that I would call loyalty and love into this Software! How do I know look at the number of updates that has been made to keep up with the Crooks in the World! I hope if you have taken the opportunity and time to read this you will Download this Unique Outstanding Design App! What do you have to loose ( maybe more than the time it took to Download the App! ) Well it’s time for this ole man to get on with my walk so Mr. Developer I Truly Appreciate this Unique Outstanding Design App and I Tip My Hat 🎩 to You and say “Thanks “
Lightweight and effective bought the Mac app as well.
Worth every penny just to stop those annoying "Sign in with Google" prompts that seem to litter every website these days. Also love that I can now paste my password from my password manager app into websites that previously blocked that ability.
Probably my favorite feature though is that I can create a custom profile for a website if something breaks. This is handy for some corporate intranet stuff where I need all of our archaic and outdated internal web tools to work properly.
Hope to someday see a checkbox to block the, "Allow this site to send notifications" prompts, and the "Sign up for our newsletter" prompt that appears before I've even had a chance to finish reading the first word on a website. Not sure if those are possible, but that would be awesome.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Jeff Johnson
- 1.6 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Jeffrey Johnson
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.