StopTheMadness is a Safari extension that stops web sites from making your browser harder to use. And it protects your privacy on the web. StopTheMadness is not an ad blocker: it offers unique features not available from ad blockers or any other apps. StopTheMadness is one of a kind!
Many web sites disable user interface features in Safari that you normally expect to work. StopTheMadness ensures that those features continue to work for you in Safari:
• opening contextual menus
• selecting, copying, cutting, and pasting of text
• drag and drop
• AutoFill/autocomplete of passwords, emails, etc.
With StopTheMadness enabled, the annoying web sites that deliberately make your life harder suddenly become easy to use again!
StopTheMadness also protects your privacy on the web:
• Stops Google AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages)! Automatically loads the original "canonical" web site page instead of Google AMP.
• Stops hyperlink auditing (anchor "ping").
• Stops tracking beacons (Navigator.sendBeacon).
• Stops clickjacking in Google Search results.
• Stops clickjacking in Gmail.
• Stops clickjacking in Facebook.
• Stops sites from using the Page Visibility API to know when a tab is visible on your screen.
• Removes tracking parameters such as utm_source, gclid, and fbclid from the end of link URLs when clicked in Safari.
• Stops URL shorteners. Checks the links you click in Safari for well-known link shorteners — bit.ly, tinyurl.com, l.facebook.com, t.co, etc. — and loads the unshortened destination URL instead of the shortened URL. This occurs without setting any cookies or other site data, so you can't be tracked by your click.
• Stop videos from autoplaying on all web sites.
• Show native video controls. Easily enter Picture-in-Picture from Safari on all web sites!
• Force links to open in the current tab instead of a new tab. Remove target="_blank" from links so that they no longer automatically create a new tab.
• Warns when you paste or type beyond the maximum length in a password field or other text field.
• Stops "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" alerts. Close your tabs without getting stopped by the site!
• Force images to the front. Bypass the transparent overlay on sites that prevents you from dragging and opening the contextual menu on images.
StopTheMadness is made by indie developer Jeff Johnson. If you need support, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or read the support site at https://underpassapp.com/StopTheMadness/support.html
Urgent fix for a bug where link clicks did nothing with the "Bypass link shorteners" website option enabled.
Ratings and Reviews
Message when opening amp links
I really like this extension but please offer an option to turn off the message when opening amp links. Is adding more annoyances to an extension that is supposed to stop them.
Fixed in latest update.
Developer Response ,
To clarify for everyone, this reviewer was talking about an issue in version 1.4 that was fixed in version 1.5.
I really wish the UX/UI was easier to understand without reading the long help page. Maybe the developer could add some hints ( like hit return to add a custom site; or nothing happens).
But overall this is a power user Safari extension.
The macOS version of this app may be my favorite piece of software so I’m thrilled to have it on iOS too. Possibly the best deal in the AppStore. (Glowing review notwithstanding, I am not in any way affiliated with developer—aside from being a huge fan.) Seriously: a great deal for a great app.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Jeff Johnson
- 564.2 KB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Jeffrey Johnson
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.