Toot! is a client for the Mastodon social network. It is beautiful, and full of character and whimsy.
What makes Toot! special?
- It is delightful. It is full of beautiful design, animation, amusing details and hidden treasures.
- It is fast and robust. It caches data locally to let you read without waiting for slow loading, and it remembers your reading position.
- It lets you be as many people as you like. You can easily switch between accounts with a flick of your finger. It even lets you read timelines on instances you are not logged in to!
- It has the cutest icon.
What makes Mastodon special?
- It is a social network by humans, rather than algorithms and corporate interests.
- It is a social network for humans, rather than advertisers and data collectors.
- It is a social network that is humane, rather than preying on your insecurities and worst instincts.
Why does Toot! cost money?
- Toot! shows you no ads, and it collects none of your information, nor does it track any of your habits. It does not try to trick you into doing anything you do not want.
- That means it gets no money through such shady tricks, and relies on you to support its development.
Follow @firstname.lastname@example.org for more updates and information!
* You can now create a poll when posting a new toot.
* Fixed an issue that could make notifications stop arriving.
* Fixed clicking on links to toots.
* Fixed sharing screenshots.
* Added Toot! for Men.
Ratings and Reviews
A great Mastodon client which prioritizes the comfort and safety of its users
The Mastodon social network is a great place to interact with people (especially fellow members of marginalized communities), but like any federated form of social media it is difficult to prevent certain people from trying to make it unsafe. I am glad that Toot! uses a bunch of approaches to keep its users safe, such as making it easy to switch instances, being respectful of post privacy settings, and making it possible to avoid interactions with people through the blocking system. There are also some great quality-of-life features like the zen “relax” mode and some fun Easter eggs, and the developer is incredibly responsive to bug reports and feature requests.
This app makes Mastodon a delight to use. My only complaints would be that it’s a bit harder than necessary to tune which notifications come up on my lock screen.
Fantastic and reliable
This app has been awesome. There are some things about the design that I don’t love. But coming from a different Mastodon app which crashed constantly and needed to be reinstalled far to often, I’m happy to give this one 5 stars just for the stability. I love the threading indicators for toots and their replies. And the implementation of the “load more” button is perfect.
As for the design bits, it took me a little while to figure out that the wheel to switch accounts was also a tappable tab button. And using that wheel isn’t great. Most often, I end up triggering the Home indicator bar and either exiting the app or opening the iOS app switcher. I’d really prefer the controls to follow standard iOS conventions. The placement of the tab bar button to create a new post is also somewhat odd. But the compose view is brilliant.
Developer Response ,
To make the switcher easier to use, you can just drag from anywhere in it straight upwards.
My First Mastodon Mobile App
I joined Mastodon a few weeks ago and immediately went to look for an app for my mobile devices. I discovered Toot! and I find the app delightful to use. It’s really well done, especially for the price, free. Everything works as expected and any use of the app that didn’t work was because it was dodgy WiFi or CloudFlare having connectivity issues with some Mastodon instances I have accounts with. I’ve never had a fault with the app, and I use it regularly.
I am writing this review because there are other reviews in place that have nothing at all to do with the app and have everything to do with political arguments. This review space is to review the application itself. The author has done a fantastic job, and if you need a Mastodon app, this one will not let you down. It didn’t let me down.
- Dag Agren
- 44.6 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2018-2019 Dag Ågren
- In-App Purchases
- Toot! for Men $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.