* The iPad is a fantastic map viewer, and Topo Maps for iPad gives it access to over 70,000 USGS and Canadian topographical maps. * Ideal for hiking and other backcountry activities. * Map downloads are FREE! * More than 4 million maps downloaded so far! * Users write:
" I've bought all the topo map apps and I like this the best "
" Scans are gorgeous ... the interface is exceptionally clean "
" Downloading maps is easy and fast ... Map displays beautifully and zooms flawlessly "
* Includes Alaska (at 1:24,000 and 1:63,360) and Canada (at 1:50,000), plus Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
* Locate the maps you need on the satellite view. To install a map, touch for about half a second. Touch again to view it.
* Search by name for over a million towns, peaks, lakes, parks and other features.
* No network connection is needed once the maps have been installed.
* Mark waypoints, and import and export waypoint files in GPX, KML and CSV formats.
* Touch the "current location" button to see where you are, and the compass button to align the map with the ground.
* See coordinates in NAD27 or WGS84 degrees, degrees minutes and seconds, UTM, or MGRS formats.
* Measure distances (miles, feet and km) and bearings (true and magnetic).
Coverage: this app makes available more than 70,000 maps covering the United States, including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Canada.
The Maps: This app uses high-quality scans of the traditional USGS and NRCan topographic maps which have been the definitive resource for hikers and other backcountry users for many years. You can make the terrain stand out with hill shading, using simulated sunlight from the direction of your choice. This app does not use the new "US Topo" maps because they do not show hiking trails and lack other details: please see the web site for more details.
Downloading: US maps are around 8 MB in size and download in a few seconds on a typical home broadband connection. Canadian maps are larger. Both cellular data and WiFi can be used, though WiFi is likely to be more reliable in most cases.
- Do please visit http://topomapsapp.com/ for complete instructions, so that you don't miss any features.
We have many ideas for additional features to add to future versions of this app; if you have ideas or other questions or comments, contact details can be found on the website, http://topomapsapp.com/. The website also has more screenshots and other information.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
This is a minor update for improved compatibility with newer iOS versions and iPad hardware.
Unfortunately support for some older hardware, including the original iPad, is now lost.
Ratings and Reviews
This app combined with a bluetooth Bad Elf GPS Pro works perfect on my wireless only iPad. An always on option would be helpful because it currently requires the user to go to settings and change the Apple display auto-lock setting to never, which I seem to forget to do before I open this app, then of course you have to remember to change the setting back once you stop using the app. All in all though this app is highly recommended for back-country driving in areas with no cellular/wifi service, as long as you have a GPS and have already downloaded your topo maps or offline maps. I use the same app on my phone as my primary backup (and hard copy maps as a second back-up). I do use Avenza Maps too as it offers more map options, especially for kayaking but my primary back-country vehicle navigation app is this one.
Best app I’ve ever purchased
This may be an oldie but I wanted to stop in and say it’s the best purchase I’ve ever made on the App Store. With a gps enabled iPad it effectively turns your iPad into a full screen topo map with location. Get the maps you think you’ll need at home and no need for cell signal. Super powerful tool for any type of outdoor activity off the grid. Just want to say “Well done” to the creators.
Best map app ever!
If you ever liked playing with topo maps, this app is a must! GREAT features allow you to measure distance and compass heading between points. Awesome feature allows you to see the view-shed from any point - fantastic for real estate analysis. I bought my mountain property based on this app. Perfect balance between government provided maps and beautiful 3rd party software that makes this one of my all time favorite apps!
The developer, Mappendix Limited, indicated that the app’s privacy practices may include handling of data as described below.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Mappendix Limited
- 118.8 MB
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2017 Philip Endecott
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.