* View over 70,000 Natural Resources Canada 1:50,000 and USGS 1:24,000 topographical maps on your iPhone or iPod touch. * Ideal for hiking and other backcountry activities. * Map downloads are FREE! * More than 4 million maps downloaded so far!
- iPad owners, please see the app "Topo Maps for iPad".
* Users write:
" I've bought all the topo map apps and I like this the best "
" Scans are gorgeous ... the interface is exceptionally clean "
" Downloading maps is easy and fast ... Map displays beautifully and zooms flawlessly "
* Includes Canada (at 1:50,000), the contiguous US (at 1:24,000), Alaska (at 1:24,000 and 1:63,360), Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
* Locate the maps you need on the satellite view. To install a map, touch for about half a second. Touch again to view it.
* Search by name for over a million towns, peaks, lakes, parks and other features.
* No network connection is needed once the maps have been installed.
* Mark waypoints, and import and export waypoint files in GPX, KML and CSV formats.
* Touch the "current location" button to see where you are, and the compass button to align the map with the ground.
* See coordinates in NAD27 or WGS84 degrees, degrees minutes and seconds, UTM, or MGRS formats.
* Measure distances (miles, feet and km) and bearings (true and magnetic).
The Maps: This app uses high-quality scans of the traditional USGS and NRCan topographic maps which have been the definitive resource for hikers and other backcountry users for many years. You can make the terrain stand out with hill shading, using simulated sunlight from the direction of your choice. In the U.S., this app does not use the new "US Topo" maps because they do not show hiking trails and lack other details: please see the web site for more details.
Downloading: US maps are around 8 MB in size and download in a few seconds on a typical home broadband connection. Canadian maps are larger. Both cellular data and WiFi can be used, though WiFi is likely to be more reliable in most cases.
- Do please visit http://topomapsapp.com/ for complete instructions, so that you don't miss any features.
We have many ideas for additional features to add to future versions of this app; if you have ideas or other questions or comments, contact details can be found on the website, http://topomapsapp.com/. The website also has more screenshots and other information.
This update is for compatibility with the iPhone 6s, along with various minor bug fixes.
If you don't have an iPhone 6s there is not much to be gained by updating.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This is the topo app for backcountry
I love this app. The map resolution and stitching are excellent. The maps are stored on your phone, so it works way out of data range. Each map is about the size of a standard photo, so you can download hundreds if you want. You see your position on the quad map, and you can drop waypoint pins at your current location or at other points without going there first. The only thing it doesn't do that my old Garmin does, is show your track. The compass link function lets you aim the whole map at a distant object to identify it. You can also switch the map to Google aerial photo of the same area, if you are in data range. I like the old '83 topo quad maps. You see old trails that aren't on newer maps. You wouldn't use this app for driving around town, because a lot of newer roads will be missing, but rarely a problem out in the woods. This app has almost completely replaced my old GPS. The tutorial is nice and clear.
My favorite app all time
I have owned this app since its launch and can honestly say it is my favorite app period. I am an avid backpacker and hiker and this app has allowed me to find some of the most amazing places in the wild. Maps must be downloaded while you an internet connection, but the gps usually works while out of service so you can locate your position on the topo. I love the ability to link maps together and zoom way in for detail. The map quality is identical to paper topos. I used this app while hiking the John Muir trail and it was great for checking my location and finding off trail lakes and campsites. The search feature works really well so you can find the map you need quickly, download and head out for your adventure. Can't believe this app isn't more popular as it is awesome.
The reason I bought a $700 iPad
This is the best app ever made. The cellular enabled iPad mini becomes the ultimate gps enabled, location finding map - even without a cell plan. I use this app to plan backcountry trips, save locations, and save usgs maps for later use for recreation. I also use it extensively to assist my platoon leader with route planning and map recons prior to going on training missions in the Army. This app is what justifies having a GPS enabled iPad for me. Intuitive and easy to use with tons of features and low power consumption. Location finding function can be turned on or off any time within the app to save battery. Adjoining sheets line up as well as when using paper maps and MGRS is supported as well as several other formats. LOVE THIS APP!
The developer, Mappendix Limited, indicated that the app’s privacy practices may include handling of data as described below.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.