Start, locate and control your car from virtually anywhere with your iPhone or Apple watch!
"Making the cloud-connected car a reality"
"Without a doubt, one of the coolest apps I've ever seen"
With the release of its all-new 5th generation Viper SmartStart app, connecting with and controlling your vehicle is easier than ever – including real time status via the updated dashboards, and control via your Apple watch!
- Add a Viper SmartStart GPS module to the Viper remote start or security system in your car so you can start, lock and unlock your car from virtually anywhere. You can also locate your car, share its location with your friends or family, and get safety notifications if your Viper SmartStart-protected car is speeding or goes where it's not supposed to go.
- For the ultimate connected car experience, install a complete Viper SmartStart Digital System and you’ll also get engine runtime and real time status on your choice of app dashboard. Get notified if your vehicle sets a diagnostic code, or check your fuel, battery, or odometer right in the app!
- All 4G LTE GPS modules come with a free 30-day GPS trial so you can check out the cool features right away, and there’s even an option for a year of free Basic service. Step up to Secure service to get 2-way control confirmations or add GPS or Small Fleet & Family for the ultimate in car control and monitoring along with extended warranty and theft protection.
The sleek, modern dashboards of Viper SmartStart 5.3 mobile app give you fingertip control over the following features of your installed Viper remote start or security/remote start system:
- Remote car starter
- Trunk release
- Aux channels
Follow these three simple steps to get Viper SmartStart:
1) Download the free Viper SmartStart app
2) Get a SmartStart system installed in your vehicle
3) Set up your account, and start using your SmartStart system
Viper SmartStart also includes Viper Motor Club, providing convenient 24/7 access to our nationwide roadside assistance network. Just press a button in the app to get connected for towing due to breakdown or accidents, or assistance with a dead battery or flat tire. Member roadside assistance is free with Secure or higher level service plans and pre-registration. Even if you don’t sign up, you can use the guest program for the same great service at a fixed cost.
- Real time status on your favorite dashboard! Check the remote start runtime or whether your doors are locked and more instantly just by opening the app! (digital systems only)
- Monitor the battery, odometer, and fuel level in the extended Status page (requires a digital system, some features may not be supported on all vehicles)
- Convenient widget for one-touch command execution without needing to open the app first
- Start, lock, unlock or locate your car using your Apple watch, or send other commands
- Receive alert notifications on your phone and Apple watch
- Four user-selectable dashboards and launch page settings – now you can customize the app for the way you use it
- Modern dashboard "swipe up to start" feature eliminates accidental remote start commands
- Map page integrates GPS and SmartPark features seamlessly – locate your vehicle, or track down where you parked
- Manage notifications: Each user can select how they want to receive alerts or other notifications. Choose from push alerts with custom sound effects, email, or SMS (SMS alerts may not be available outside North America)
Fixed login issues and other improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
I like the app and the system
So I guess I’ll just review the app since my review for the actual viper system belongs else where. However I love the app, well built, well designed. You swipe up to start your car, you can lock it, sound alarm, open trunk, all that stuff. One of my particular favorite features is the ability to set a passcode to get into the app. So no one can start your vehicle (considering they don’t have your key fob for your remote start) with out a password. Nor can they unlock or anything. Which is a big thing for me because there’s things in my car that I wouldn’t want stolen (assuming you do as well) and it’s nice to know that I’m the only one that can access the app and do that myself. And if you do not have the GPS add on for your system and your only using the free 150ft start. I have to tell you it works from well over 150ft. At least for me it does, so that’s nice too. Overall I’m pleased with the app, there are some bugs and glitches that could be addressed but that doesn’t effect my overall rating and convenience of the app itself.
So Far, So Good... Needs Apple Watch Complication
Not long ago I had the SmartStart add-on added to my older Clifford system and basic functionality has been fine. I chose this option over replacing the 2-way remote fob. Starting/stopping, locking/unlocking all have been reliable over the 1st few weeks of use. However, this time has highlighted some (seemingly) simple improvements that would improve usability of this product. (1) Make an Apple Watch complication. Now the biggest inconvenience is pulling out your phone, opening it, locating the app in order to lock/unlock your doors. Was surprised to find I couldn’t add SmartStart as a complication to an Apple Watch face. This would be a significant usability improvement. (2) When the car has been remote started, it would be nice if the dashboard included a countdown timer showing how long until the unit auto-shuts off. My Clifford 2-way remote provided thistle. (3) On the iPhone app, the status screen should hold the previous status info until you click the refresh button. Also would like to be able to click on the individual status categories and see history. This would be especially useful on the Battery Voltage Status... as I recently had a weak battery and with very cold weather affecting a car’s battery especially when in a weakened state, it would be nice to have this info available. (4) Lastly, add Face ID/Touch ID to the passcode functionality. Hope to see these features in the near future.
Good app, Apple Watch app needs improvement
The iPhone app has quite a few features, but I feel like some basic UI stuff is missing from the Apple Watch app. First, one thing I REALLY WANT is on the main dashboard of the iPhone app I wish it would tell me if the car is locked or unlocked without having to lock or unlock it first or go to the my car status information.
For the Apple Watch, this app seriously needs a complication. The app also should tell us if it’s locked, unlocked, engine running and for how many more minutes. It would be awesome if the complication could give a countdown on the 15 minute runtime.
I loved the viper for its phone and watch integration, but I find myself using my key fob most often because the iPhone is annoying to get out when I’m rushing around in the mornings and I never know what I’m going to get with the watch app. Did the car actually start? Is it locked or not? How much time do I have left? With the Apple Watch only gaining more popularity, app developers need to continue focusing on developing their Apple Watch apps as well. Please update yours with a few more features and it would be a solid 5!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Directed Electronics, Inc.
- 203.9 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 VOXX•DEI LLC.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.