Looking for a Walkie Talkie app that works *offline* without sending data over the Internet, unlike other similar apps on the App Store? Here's one! It works as long as you have both WiFi & Bluetooth on and within range of other devices. All devices connect effortlessly with peer-to-peer technology or via your Local Area Network (LAN). You can even leave it running in the background!
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please read the specifications carefully before your download - This app transmits data directly over Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, but Wi-Fi and Bluetooth technology has limits in areas like range. It does NOT work like Internet-based Walkie-Talkie apps that can function anywhere with an Internet connection.
For maximum performance, this app requires all users having the same iOS version and same app version. It usually maintains a good performance when the device is within 10 meters (33 feet) with no obstructions, such as very thick concrete walls, or interference from other electronics like a microwave. However, these ranges can still be extended via LAN if all users are connected to the same LAN over Wi-Fi access points spread across multiple locations. Alternatively, good line-of-sight in open space or device models with newer Wi-Fi and Bluetooth versions also can increase range.
Feature Set & Specifications:
- Fully Offline & Private - No connection to the Internet is made
- Connect up to 8 devices in a group together
- Connect via existing Wireless Local Area Networks (WLAN)
- Connect via Peer-to-Peer (Ad-hoc) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Zero-Configuration connection - Just tap "Allow"
- Remembers allowed connections: No confirmation needed when reconnecting
- 10 meters (33 feet) minimum unobstructed range with peer-to-peer connection
- Extra range available via WLAN (e.g. workplaces with multiple Wi-Fi access points)
- Broadcast Voice Messages with Push-to-Talk*
- Broadcast Text Messages
- Audio input/output picker to select your preferred audio source
- Can continue running in the background or when locked while connected
- No Ads, No Tracking (it functions completely off the grid after all!)
If the above features and specifications are what you're looking for, get the app today!
*Push-to-Talk only available on-screen. Third-party Push-to-Talk hardware is not yet supported.
If you have any problems, do contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I'm happy to help!
- Fixed the app unexpectedly quitting in the background due to thinking it's idle, even though there are devices connected.
- Fixed iOS 16 usability by providing unique 4-digit tags to devices (as the name you set for your device is no longer freely accessible on iOS 16). A future update will provide the ability to customise the name shown by the app and to other users.
Ratings and Reviews
After a few minutes of talking, the app doesn't send or receive messages. Me and who I'm connected with get them minutes later. And what with the $0.99 thing? it just isn't worth it. Don't recommend this. if you are looking for a good walkie-talkie app, then get zello or talk now. They are a lot more reliable and can go long distances.
Developer Response ,
I'm sorry for the issues you've encountered with the app. All the limitations of the app are already clearly listed in the description of the app, including the fact that since it solely operates without an internet connection, it cannot send messages over distances longer that you're phone's WiFi/Bluetooth capability (33 feet in open air, less if obstructed by walls etc). The reliability of the technology used is limited by WiFi and Bluetooth connections between multiple devices and not internet connection (since it doesn't operate over the internet whereas other apps you listed do). Since it doesn't use the internet, your cellular data is also not used unlike other apps.
Can you please list down the devices and iOS versions of every device that was connected? There are some known issues with certain iOS versions not being able to connect to other versions well, thus it is recommended to update all devices to the latest iOS version if possible.
There's also a distance limit regarding the app as it uses only WiFi and Bluetooth technology. This means if you get too far or you get somewhere where WiFi and Bluetooth are easily obstructed, you may lose signal and thus become unreliable. How far did you attempt to use the app and is it with or without obstructions? Do note that certain electronic devices such as a microwave oven running can also interfere with the signal.
Alternatively, please send me an email via email@example.com and I'd be happy to help.
Hope to hear your reply!
- Wern Jie
Great app. Now get it working on cross platform (iOS and android) pls.
Excellent, but I have a suggestion.
great! How about adding a call button. That would make it more like a walkie-talkie!!!.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Eng Tat Lim
- 886.8 KB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2016-2022 Wern Jie Lim
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.