"When all you want is the digital equivalent of a paper diary, this is the perfect one." - goyyboy (5 stars)
"Loving the lighthearted feel of this deceptively powerful app." - plinkplok (5 stars)
"Exactly what I needed" - (multiple reviews)
"Good and accessible with VoiceOver" - Allan.summers
Never journal due to the inconvenience to do so?
Tend to forget to write in your diary?
Afraid that someone will peek into your diary?
Want to attach some quick photos into your journal?
Just need a simple digital diary that's easy to use?
Personal Diary is an app that solves the above problems. It's completely free with no advertisements and limitations. Easily access all your entries in all your devices with iCloud Sync. You can write diary entries without worrying that someone will peek at what you wrote, with passcode & biometric protection. Forgot about your diary? The app can 'summon' you back with a friendly nudge. You can also import as many photos as you wish into your entries. As an optional addition, you can set your mood and the weather, or automatically by an AI if you prefer.
*This app is developed and is managed by Wern Jie, 16.
- Numeric passcode lock (any number of digits).
- Unlock using Touch ID or Face ID.
- Auto-saves as you type.
- Simple & Easy to use.
- iCloud Sync.
- Smart Search.
- Ability to pick a mood.
- Ability to choose the weather of the day.
- Mood & Weather can be automatically chosen.
- Import photos to your entries.
- Select a theme to suite your style.
- Dark Mode for better night use.
- iPad Multitasking Features supported.
- External keyboard supported.
- VoiceOver fully supported.
- 3D Touch functionalities supported.
- Simple Rich Text editing supported.
- Siri Shortcuts and Integration (experimental).
- Fully functional non-stripped down version of Apple Watch app.
- FlickType keyboard integration in the Apple Watch app, allowing for a faster and more convenient typing experience on your wrist.
- iPhone X, XS, XR series supported.
- New iPad Pro 11" and 12.9" supported.
- Apple Watch app supports all models, Series 0-4.
- Daily Notifications for writing in your diary.
- NO Ads & absolutely FREE! :D
*Some features may not available on the Apple Watch. All features for editing and viewing all your entries such as the Timeline view are fully supported on the watch, except for previewing images.
Don't forget to let me know what you think of Personal Diary by leaving a review on the App Store! Reviews and ratings help and let other users find this app. If you have any problems or questions, feel free to send a feedback; I might be able to help! :)
- Please do not forget your password. If you forget your password and your identity cannot be verified, you may not be able to access your data.
This app allows you to tip/donate to directly support the development of this app through in-app purchases. No new features will be provided when you tip, it's just to support the app's development if you would like to. Selecting a Small/Medium/Large Tip will initiate a one time payment for tipping. A Continuous Tip is automatic-renewal subscription to tip every month, and will renew automatically every month unless it's turned off or cancelled (through your account settings) at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. For this, your iTunes account will be charged when payment is confirmed, and charged for auto-renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period at the selected price.
Hi Personal Diary users! Hope all is well. Here's a long overdue update to the app, focusing on quite a bit of bug fixes and stability improvements. Details below.
- Updated with support for the latest iOS, iPadOS, and watchOS versions.
- The app can now run on macOS 10.15 or later. (beta version will be released soon!)
- Added mouse and trackpad support, suited for iPadOS and macOS.
- Increased default font sizes and switched displayed font to Arial.
- Fixed an issue where formatted text on PDF exports have a 62.5% chance of being missing or corrupted.
- Resolved a bug where an image in a PDF export may be split into two on two different pages.
- Resolves issues with PDF exports where pages are not split up properly.
- Patched a bug where images could be duplicated and injected in PDF exports if a certain string of characters are present in their entry text.
- Fixed a problem where PDF exports may fail for large diaries due to running out of memory, causing the app to crash, freeze, or have missing images. Caveat: PDF exports will now be slower as they are now done in chunks and rendered in storage instead.
- Fixed an issue where nothing happens when editing a hyperlink.
- Fixed some bugs and glitches that may occur when operating with keyboard shortcuts.
- Resolved crashes and UI glitches that occur when you perform actions too quickly while a search result is active.
- Fixed a crash when you press the 'x' button to clear search phrase, then immediately press the add entry button.
- Resolved UI formatting inconsistencies when searching in the Timeline.
- Full Screen Editing has been renamed to Focused Editing Mode.
- Fixed a bug where the Focused Editing Mode (Full Screen Editing) toggle resets after an app relaunch.
- Resolved some problems where detection of whether content is fully downloaded is not correct when migrating to/from iCloud Drive, and exporting/printing data.
- Resolved an issue where text formatting, specifically text formatted only in italics, may not preserve its style.
- Bulk data export options are revamped. Notably, they now show their progress, so you'll know whether something is happening or not when exporting to ZIP, PDF or printing data.
- Some minor UI updates to settings screens.
- More preparations for multi-journal support.
If you ever encounter problems with Personal Diary, feel free to send me an email; I'd be happy to help!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Exactly what I was looking for!!!
I’d been looking for a simple-to-use, basic journaling app to record daily thoughts and this app is PERFECT for just that. I love that you can include photos and with iCloud backup, it easily syncs to my other Apple devices. The reminder option is helpful, and like that I have the option to turn it on/off. The fact that this app has NO ADS and is FREE is awesome. It’s an elegantly simple, yet very useful app. Writing things down can be so therapeutic especially during these unprecedented times; whether its a lengthy entry, or just a few words or lines. Life goes by in such a blur and I’m glad to have found a quick way to record and look back on my own impressions of daily life. My thanks to this app’s brilliant young creator, keep up the good work! 😁
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your review! I really appreciate the feedback.
If you have any problems (hopefully not) or want to ask any further questions, feel free to send me an email. I'd be happy to help!
- Wern Jie
Good app, bad update!
I've always really liked this app. It's a really good place to store all my personal entries, and it's been nothing but reliable. The app was perfect...until the recent update came out. My app now laggs when I scroll down through my entries so much that it takes 1-2 minutes to actually reach the bottom of my entry page, and even then, the app sometimes crashes from the lagg. Not only that, but when I'm writing a new entry and want to scroll back up to fix something, it automatically scrolls right back down to where the cursor is, which is quite frustrating. Whenever I tap an area in the entry to edit it, the cursor doesn't appear in the area I tapped, but the lowest point in the entry. Please fix these errors, and most of all, fix the lagg, as it's becoming unbearable.
Developer Response ,
Sorry for your experience with the app. I've fixed all of these issues in version 2.4.1, but I'll need more information about the lag:
- Are any of the entries being downloaded? If so, it might temporarily degrade the app's performance. Once everything is downloaded, it should be fine. Is that the case?
FYI, other than the lag (which no one experienced before), all the other issues you reported have already existed since the a few versions before, and again, they're already fixed in version 2.4.1. Please try updating to the latest version of the app and see if that helps.
Hope to hear your reply!
Great Free app
Was looking for a free replacement with iCloud sync for Day One and found this little gem! I call it little but it actually does all I need, which includes inserting photos and the weather for the day. Diary is easy to use and syncs across my iPhone and iPad without issue. I really don’t like having to sign up for extra cloud services so the iCloud sync was the most important feature I was looking for in a journaling app. No ads and no pressure to pay but the option is there if you want to use it as I did. I’m sure that, like any programmer, the author will probably make changes over time. Just hope he keeps it nice and simple like it is now.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the feedback, and glad you enjoyed using Personal Diary! :D
Feel free to send me an email from within the app if you have any questions.
- Wern Jie
- Eng Tat Lim
- 44.1 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 and watchOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2015 - 2020 Wern Jie Lim
- In-App Purchases
- Continuous Tip $1.99
- Large Tip $9.99
- Medium Tip $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.