WheelMate gives you an instant overview of your nearest wheelchair-friendly toilets and parking spaces on an interactive map. It is powered by wheelchair users who add and verify every single location themselves, ensuring it works the way it should. It is easy and simple to use, and it is free!
The WheelMate app currently has more than 35,000 locations across 45 countries – and more are being added every day. Almost 17,000 people have downloaded the app.
Key features and benefits:
- Instant overview of your nearest wheelchair-friendly toilet and parking spaces
- Get direction from your current location to the desired location
- Help other users by adding toilets and parking spaces in the app
- Rate on locations listed by others
- No registration required
Under the hood improvements to the map.
Ratings and Reviews
People with disabilities could make this app really useful!
I downloaded this app last night and added a couple of locations that I've used & find acceptable. Too many businesses get away with providing bare bones restrooms, while others have made outstanding efforts! You might try promotion on some sites that have a large user-base of people who use wheelchairs and have a need for safe, clean, functional facilities. Good luck and thanks for your efforts as well. Only 4 stars *today* because you need more human input; will be worth 5 stars when we can get more users to visit & rate your suggested locations, and start adding their own. Thanks so much! :)
Great idea! Participate people!
Long ago before social media really took off and map-software was a thing, I thought it would be great to map out the city I lived in San Francisco) for disabled parking, toilets, and accessible buildings. This idea is better, a sort of Waze for wheelchair users. I will use it where I now live but also where I visit. I just returned from Manila and chairists there would benefit hugely from this app. It might even reveal how absolutely horrible accessibility is in some places and how American businesses in those places (Starbucks, McDonalds, KFC, etc., etc.) are equally as bad as local businesses just because they can get away with it.
Great idea but a few suggestions
This app is exactly what wheelchair users and people accompanying them are in need of. My area does not have any locations added so far but I am doing my best to add. A few suggestions:
1. Perhaps find a way for users not to have to enter locations nearby. It sort of defeats the purpose of coming to this app for help if you’re in an area where not everyone knows about it or has taken the time to manually enter locations for others.
2. I understand the two icons on the right are for parking and bathrooms. I do not understand what the icon on the far left represents. Is it for sidewalks that are accessible? Perhaps have the description pop up whenever you select them.
3. It would be nice to change my location in the app to somewhere in another city rather than where it is tracking that I currently am. This helps when planning trips.
This app will probably be more helpful whenever we are in the larger cities we are traveling to, but I think adding in these suggestions would really make it a 5 star app. This is a wonderful start though!!!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Coloplast International A/S
- 18.2 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Danish, French, German, Swedish
- Age Rating
- © Coloplast