Free translator that can work offline and translate text from photos
• Translate between any pair of the 90 languages when you’re online.
• Translate from French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Turkish and other languages to English while offline: download these languages for free and enable the offline mode in Settings.
• Speak words or phrases in Russian, English, or Turkish to translate them into any of these languages, or have the app read the translations to you.
• Learn new words and their meanings through usage examples in the app’s dictionary (available for most of the currently supported languages).
• Take a picture of a menu, road sign, book page or choose a photo with text from your Camera Roll to view its translation right over the image (only available when you are online).
• Translate entire sites directly in the app or in Safari.
• Read books, news, or articles in a foreign language together with Yandex.Translate on your iPad using Split View.
• Read transliterated Arabic, Armenian, Farsi, Georgian, Greek, Hebrew, Korean, Japanese, or Chinese Pinyin.
• Enjoy the app’s time-saving predictive typing function and automated language detection.
• Save translations in Favorites and view your translation history at any time.
• Speak to your Apple Watch to see your words translated on its screen.
Currently supported languages: Afrikaans, Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Bashkir, Belarussian, Bengali, Bulgarian, Burmese, Bosnian, Catalan, Cebuano, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Elvish (Sindarin), English, Esperanto, Estonian, Farsi, Finnish, French, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Hebrew, Hill Mari, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Javanese, Kannada, Kazakh, Khmer, Korean, Kyrgyz, Latin, Latvian, Lao, Lithuanian, Luxembourgish, Macedonian, Malagasy, Malaysian, Malayalam, Maltese, Maori, Marathi, Mari, Mongolian, Nepali, Norwegian, Papiamento, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Scots, Singhalese, Slovakian, Slovenian, Spanish, Sundanese, Swahili, Swedish, Tagalog, Tajik, Tamil, Tatar, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Udmurt, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese, Welsh, Xhosa, Yiddish.
- Switch to dialog mode to communicate with people who speak a different language. Select a language for yourself and for the other person, start a conversation, and the app will translate your phrases.
- Check out the new content on the home page: it's a bunch of cards featuring the day of the week, the phrase of the day, and some Chinese characters. Translations are also provided. The cards are updated daily, and you can hide them if you like.
- Use the good old "X" to delete text if you don't feel like swiping.
Ratings and Reviews
The best translator for Russian by far
Yandex offers more information for translations than Google Translate, and the translations feel like they are more accurate. As a polyglot I use both yandex translate and google for different languages, but when it comes to Russian yandex is the most reliable, both for the literal entries and the sound clips. The UI is ergonomic, allowing you to quickly clear the screen and enter another word for translation or swipe to previous queries. If you’re a student of Russian, Yandex is a must.
Developer Response ,
Please send a screenshot with a popup to firstname.lastname@example.org
May be better than Google
There are functions in this app that are better than Google Translate in my opinion. The voice recognition is very effective and the photo translate is much more effective than Google’s version.
Pretty accurate... but needs to have the ability to detect traditional text.
I’m always using this app for mainly 3 languages: Korean, Chinese and Japanese.
The Chinese one is the most accurate and I’m super glad. Korean and Japanese, is a bit more iffy but it’s there.
The only thing I would like added is that it can be able to detect traditional writing style for Chinese and Japanese. I would love to know what someone is saying, for example in a comic they use that style. But everything else works fine. I have already recommended this translator to a bit more of my friends since it’s really good.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.