Castro is a beautiful, full-featured podcast player that makes it easy to track and manage lots of podcasts at the same time. Only listen to the episodes you want and easily skip the rest, queue up hours of podcasts at a time and enjoy a seamless listening experience with carplay compatibility, chapter support, trim silence and much, much more!
HOW IT WORKS
1. New episodes land in the NEW tab. Read their descriptions, add episodes you like to your QUEUE, and clear the rest.
2. Press play to listen to episodes from your QUEUE in order. Queued episodes are downloaded automatically.
3. Re-order your QUEUE to plan your next few hours of listening at any time. Browse your LIBRARY to review the back catalogue, quickly access starred shows, and see your listening history.
Subscribing to a podcast is no longer a commitment to listen to every episode. You don’t have to manage a huge list of subscriptions or choose a few shows and miss the rest.
WHY OUR USERS LOVE CASTRO
• Drag and drop podcasts to plan your listening with Castro’s unique queue
• An elegant dark mode and thoughtfully designed sleep timer offer the best in night time podcast listening.
• CarPlay support makes it easy to pick up where you left off while driving.
• Apple Watch app to control playback and select another episode from your queue.
• Episode notifications include a summary of the episode to help you decide if it interests you. Play, queue or clear the episode directly from the notification without opening the app.
Castro Plus is an optional paid subscription available for $18.99/year (includes a one-week trial). Plus unlocks a range of advanced features:
• Trim Silence — With this option on, the app will analyze audio as it plays to detect silent parts and accelerate those parts. Get through more episodes faster.
• Enhance Voices improves the listening experience for many podcasts and makes it easier to hear in loud environments. Under the hood, Enhance Voices applies a dynamic compressor to increase volume just where it’s needed.
• Sideloading: Import audio files directly, just by dropping them in iCloud Drive
• Mono-Mix — Mixes a stereo podcast to mono, which makes it easier to hear podcasts that pan some guests on left/right channels.
• Chapter Support: Artwork, Skipping & Pre-selection.
• Custom settings per-podcast: Episode Limit, Trim Silence, Enhance Voices, Mono Mix, Skip Intros, Playback Speed.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
“Castro 3 is an incredible app.”
— The Sweet Setup
“Castro 3 is everything Castro already was, but better.”
Castro 3 Is a Great Modern Podcast App”
— Beautiful Pixels
“Unlike other podcatchers, Castro's primary virtue is its simplicity and ease of use. The app combines sleek visual design with crystal clear audio.”
— Tom’s Guide
CASTRO PLUS SUBSCRIPTION TERMS
Castro Plus costs $18.99 per year. Prices are in US dollars and may vary in countries other than the US.
Castro Plus is charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. It will renew on the day before the current subscription period ends. You can cancel auto-renewal any time from the Castro settings screen.
You can switch between the two subscription periods after you pick one, but your trial period will end immediately if you do, so it's best to wait till your free week is over before changing.
Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
Feedback Integration Release
- Intra-chapter images are now supported! Mr. Thompson feel free to update that chart. Mr. Thompson feel free to update that chart.
- Ryan on Twitter asked for yellow versions of our app icons for Castro Plus users - and so we made them. Enjoy!
- Many of you asked for another app icon... and some things happened there... you'll have to ask Siri about it.
- We also improved support for opening castro.fm timestamp links in the app.
- For those of you on a beta version of iOS experiencing crashes, this release should have a fix for that- but no guarantees- betas gonna beta.
- Chapter skip actions now show as expected in the Shortcuts app, instead of only being available through our Siri Guide.
- Get Now Playing Episode details no longer shows in suggested siri shortcuts, since it is only of use when chained with other actions in the Shortcuts app.
Accessing History, and other parts of the app, through Shortcuts will come later this year alongside the next version of iOS.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
The only issue we have with podcasts today? Keeping track of all of the good stuff. Castro acts as our podcast personal assistant. Once we’d rifled through the app’s vast (and we mean vast) offering, Castro helped us prioritise and organise what we wanted to hear—and clear our in-tray by deleting them once we’d listened.
I have used a few podcast apps over the years. One whose name escapes me, the apple one, Pocketcast, Overcast and now Castro.
Castro fits the bill best for my usage - I subscribe to a lot of podcasts but don't want to download every episode as it comes out - eitehr because I am not interested in them all or to watch my bandwidth. Castro's triage method - new episodes show up in the in tray and then you decide to download or not - is great. Perfect for my usage.
There is only one playlist - your downloaded episodes - but I have found that on the whole that is the way I used other apps. It only fails when you find a new podcast and want to download a mass of episodes to listen to at varying times later - an edge case which I slide over to Overcast to manage.
The latest version brings silence cutting (which has become the rage) but I don't use it - tried it and it sounds fine though.
It doesn't play video, but it will play an audio stream of a video podcast (ABC Insiders I am looking at you) which is great.
There is also a nice flying squid easter egg screen.
I don't think I mentioned that it looks great? It does and even better
not what it was
This used to be a wonderful app as Castro 2, one of my favourites for my iPhone. It let me subscribe to podcasts, and then before a long trip browse the ready ones and download them onto the phone for listening in an order of my choosing. Exactly what I wanted. There was a little hiccup with podcast subscriptions not being carried across to a new phone via the iTunes backup. They fixed that, even if too late for me.
But Castro 3 has been a parade of bugs. There was the one where it skipped 20s of audio if you switched away from Bluetooth audio to another car source (seemingly fixed if not acknowledged). There was the one where each podcast in the queue woud start playing at a random time offset instead of the start - my favourite being the time it started 0s from the end and immediately deleted the download, and of course suppressed it from the subscription feed since it had already been "listened" to. That too is seemingly fixed now, and if it was in the release notes I missed it.
The current showstopper is that it just sometimes freezes if you park the car and come back to it. Castro still has the audio focus, because I can see that from the home screen when I next leave the car. The app is now useless to me, because where I live it is not permitted to touch the phone even if stopped in a traffic jam.
I wish I could be kinder, as this was an innovative app, but it's useless to me now.
- Supertop Software
- 44.5 MB
Requires iOS 13.0 and watchOS 5.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Tiny Podcasts
- In-App Purchases
- Castro Plus $18.99
- Castro Plus $5.99
- Castro Plus $2.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.