The foremost field guide to Australian birds is now available on the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad with a comprehensive collection of bird calls.
** If you would like to experience the app check out The Michael Morcombe eGuide to the Birds of Australia LITE which is FREE and includes 59 species **
Michael Morcombe’s Field Guide to Australian Birds has been called the most comprehensive field guide to Australian birds in the market today and now it is perfectly complimented by the eGuide which features:
● iPhone optimised controls – swipe to next or previous species, one-tap enlargement of an image and rotate the device (landscape) to enlarge an image completely (and fit the width of the screen).
● Over 3000 hi-res bird images covering over 790 bird species.
● Most bird species have a detailed distribution map showing any subspecies that occur.
● Detailed text descriptions of almost all bird species including songs and calls, measurements and breeding behaviour.
● Over 1800 carefully-selected and edited sound recordings for over 600 species. Many species are represented with multiple call examples showing the full range of vocalizations.
● The ability to compare any two images, maps, or sounds, side by side on the screen. The ability to filter by geographic location, so that you see only the species likely to occur in your location, and to further reduce the possibilities to usual or vagrant species in the selected area.
● A “Smart Search” that gives the ability to search by distinguishing features such as size, colour, physical features, habitat and exclude certain types of birds (eg. Passerines).
● A basic personal species list that stores your sightings saved to the device* (ability to upload list coming soon)
● A comprehensive help and introduction section to help you if you get stuck or don’t understand how a certain feature works.
*Uninstalling/reinstalling the program will result in the loss of your list, it is recommended that you keep your own backup (master list) separate from the application.
We invite all users to share their comments and ideas on our forum at www.mydigitalearth.com
NB. This Application WILL ONLY work on an iPhone or iPod Touch running iOS V7.1 or higher NOT A NORMAL IPOD CLASSIC/NANO and the download is about 320MB.
Fixed a bug that caused the app to crash after selecting certain species.
Updated app to latest iOS guidelines.
Ratings and Reviews
Good where it counts
This app is good for what it delivers - but since it's launch in 2016 there hasn't been an update. There are a few usability issues that could be improved - eg. Showing both birds' names when doing side by side comparison, not displaying the warning box all the time about side by side, not clearing your search text if you then apply a location filter. So usability is niggly but despite this it is very helpful for IDs in the field, which is what really counts. Some would criticise some illustrations as inaccurate, but it's a good starting point and handy in the field.
Absolutely fantastic! Better than many of my bird books
Incredibly helpful illustrations showing birds of different ages/seasons/sexes. Beautiful illustrations and great feature of having bird calls and a map. The best and only bird app I need.
I just got a new phone and was wondering if this app can transfer bird lists between phones.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Cool Ideas LLC
- 471.7 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires a Mac with Apple M1 chip and macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Cool Ideas LLC
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.