“The biggest software advance for writers since the word processor.” —Michael Marshall Smith, bestselling author
Typewriter. Ring-binder. Scrapbook. Scrivener combines all the writing tools you need to craft your first draft, from nascent notion to final full stop.
Tailor-made for creating long manuscripts, Scrivener banishes page fright by allowing you to compose your text in any order, in sections as large or small as you like. Got a great idea but don’t know where it fits? Write when inspiration strikes and find its place later. Grow your manuscript organically, idea by idea.
Whether you plan or plunge, Scrivener works your way: meticulously outline every last detail first, or hammer out a complete draft and restructure later. Or do a bit of both. All text sections in Scrivener are fully integrated with its outlining tools, so working with an overview of your manuscript is only ever a tap away, and turning Chapter Four into Chapter One is as simple as drag and drop.
Need to refer to research? In Scrivener, your background material is always at hand. Write a description based on a photograph. Reference a video or PDF. Check for consistency with an earlier chapter. On the iPad, open two documents side-by-side; on the iPhone, flip between research and writing with just two taps.
Once you’re ready to share your work with the world, simply compile everything into a single document for printing, or export to popular formats such as Word, PDF, Final Draft or plain text. You can even share using different formatting, so that you can write in your favorite font and still keep your editor happy.
• Interactive tutorial project
• Keep each manuscript and supporting materials in a self-contained project
• Import Word, RTF, Final Draft and plain text files
• Easily split imported text into separate sections
• Write your manuscript in sections of any size
• View all sections as a single text using the “Draft Navigator” (iPad only)
• Quickly navigate sections using the “binder” sidebar
• Format with fonts and presets
• Comments, footnotes, links and highlights
• Simple bullets and lists
• Insert images
• Pinch-zoom to resize text
• Full-screen mode (iPad only)
• Typewriter scrolling mode keeps typed text center-screen (iPad only)
• Write a screenplay using scriptwriting mode
• Live word and character counts
• Set word and character count targets
• Find and replace
• Customizable keyboard row provides quick-access buttons for formatting, navigation and punctuation
• Comprehensive keyboard shortcuts for external keyboard users
• Dark mode
Find Your Structure
• Write in any order and reorganize later
• Write a synopsis for any text section and see it in the outline
• Expand, collapse and drill down into sections of your project
• Rearrange sections as index cards on the corkboard (iPad only)
• Project-wide search
• Track ideas using labels and status
• Apply custom icons to your sections
Refer to Research
• Import research material such as image, PDF and media files
• View research files or other sections right alongside your writing (iPad only)
• Every section has its own notes area for jotting down ideas
• Supports multi-tasking split screen mode (supported devices only)
Share Your Work
• Compile to a single document for sharing or printing
• Use different formatting in your exported or printed document
• Export to Word, RTF, Final Draft, PDF or plain text
• Convert rich text to Markdown for sharing with Markdown apps
• Create and email zipped backups of your projects
• Use Dropbox to sync between devices and with the macOS and Windows versions of Scrivener*
• Copy projects between devices via iTunes
* Requires a Dropbox account (not compatible with iCloud).
You can contact us at email@example.com, visit our forums at http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum, or find us @scrivenerapp on Twitter.
• Miscellaneous bug fixes.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Serious creation calls for serious tools. After all, nobody’s building skyscrapers out of sticks. If you’re writing a long manuscript, your tool is Scrivener. Desktop users already know how seamlessly Scrivener binds your inspiration, outlines and writing—but you’re not always at your Mac—and thankfully the iOS app packs the same rich complexity. And yes, of course it syncs flawlessly so you’re never tied to just one device.
A Life Changer!
This program has completely changed the way I write, and has given my computer and phone the organisation I was looking for. Before I had it, I could only organise my files in folders and paper, even then it wasn’t too easy. Now I can do everything I need, with all the planning in one place.
I will admit when I saw the price of this program, I wasn’t sure straight away. It’s so, so worth it for all that you get, once you get used to how it works and the way it’s all set out. Think about all the money saved from not buying notebooks/pens/paper/folders, etc.
If you’re an organiser like I am, it’s an essential! I was shocked at how easy it made everything. If you write in-depth pieces, like fantasy novels I couldn’t recommend it more. You can create pages for each character, for settings, and then you can create notes or research pages that are quick and easy to access and file away.
No need for word or pages doc’s crowding as separate files or risking them getting lost, it’s all in one place! You can even compile it all as a novel and publish it in the file type you want.
I also highly recommend getting it for both iPhone/iPad and buying it separately for Mac too. Then through Dropbox you can access all your files and write on the go, or get those ideas down wherever you are!
Great job guys, you’ve done an outstanding job.
Great companion on the move
I have both Scrivener for iOS and MacOS (v3) and find the two work very well together using Dropbox sync.
I’ve only been using the iOS app for about 4 months and understand that - compared to its big sister - it has a lot less ‘development time under the bridge’
There are a few important features that I’ve noticed are missing, which will hopefully come soon in updates:
1. Global search
Currently it’s only possible to search within an individual document in a project. Given that a project typically consists of many such documents this is frustrating when trying to find a particular word/idea
2. Formatting Styles
The format inspector has a bunch of pre-defined styles but it’s impossible to edit them to effect project-wide format changes
3. Select All
Maybe it’s an iOS issue but the usual ability within iOS to tap & hold to bring up the Select All contextual menu option is missing. This would be super helpful when editing or moving large chunks of text (see ‘Move’ function below)
4. Move (or copy) documents/folders between projects
I have a couple of templates that I use for different parts of my writing process but I’m unable to use them without first creating a new document in the destination, naming it via copy paste, then copy paste the template content. Getting other data such as keywords etc. is near impossible as this all needs to be recreated in the destination
- Literature & Latte Ltd
- 39.8 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- © Literature & Latte Ltd
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.