Downcast, the popular iOS podcast app is now available for OS X! Download, play and sync** your favorite podcasts with an intuitive interface built specifically for podcasts.
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically (including resuming downloads)
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-update podcast feeds based on schedule
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention (globally and per-podcast)
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected feeds
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast subscription names
• Sync podcast subscriptions, playlists, settings and episode information with other Macs and iOS devices** via iCloud
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.25x, 2.5x, 2.75x and 3x speed playback*
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
For support, please email: email@example.com.
* See the following Help article for an explanation of play speeds: http://support.downcastapp.com/customer/portal/articles/476114-playback-speeds
** Downcast for iOS is required for syncing to iOS devices
• Fixes a few crashes
• Updates top podcast genres
Ratings and Reviews
Software is great, but keeps crashing
I’ve been using Downcast for about 2 years - since OS 10.10 I have sporadic crashes - worst part is once it starts crashing it will relaunch go for a bit, and crash again.
Difficult to use when this is happening. Its been happening since the last several versions of Downcast software, and last few versions of OSX. Great when it works, has syncing so all my playlists and podcasts are the same across all devices. But - Downcast is no longer the only player that does this, hasn’t been for awhile. If stability doesn’t improve, then its not worth going with this app when there are others to choose from.
Hoping there’s a fix soon.
Not worth the money
I've been a user of Downcast on my iPhone for over a year.
The desktop app is not worth the $10 in it's current form.
+++ BUGS +++
iCloud syncing does not work well.
• Upon launching the app for the first time, old played episodes were synced and downloaded.
• iCloud sync does not appear to sync episode played positions. With long podcasts this feature is absolutely necessary.
+++ UI +++
The user interface feels kludgy. It does not seem like much attention has been given to optimizing the interface for desktops.
Additionally, it would be nice if the app could utilize Apple keyboard native pause/play button. And a menubar icon wouldn't be bad either.
For now. Don't buy it, it's not worth the money. But I'm confident it will get better.
Since I bought it in August, it worked without crashing roughly half the time. I’m patient with all this transition to 10.10 and iCloud Drive, but even then it’s difficult to get it in a working condition.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.