What's with all the apps getting hip version numbers now? 2019.4?! I get it, it's the fourth 2019 build but you just know regular people are going to confuse the 4 for April, so I give this new system one star out of five. Bucking the trend and bringing you 7.4 (sorry to those of you that think this came from 7AD and is suuuuuper old now)
- Added keyboard shortcuts for iPad. Zip around the UI. Play, pause, skip and more. Let your fingers do the talking!
- More improvements to syncing, especially for those that play podcasts they aren't subscribed to. We get it, commitment is scary.
- Fixed an issue that could cause your Up Next list to be cleared (thanks to the beta testers who helped us find this)
- Fixed an issue that could cause you to not be able to subscribe to a podcast. Goes with the issue above really, no excuses anymore.
- Fixed re-arrange controls being missing in Up Next for a certain redacted, yet public, shall we say fruity beta OS
- Full screen video player now hides the status bar like it should
- Other small (and large but hard to describe) improvements, as always!
Ratings and Reviews
Used to love Pocket Casts. Now bad syching when using Sonos plugin. Web player not showing all episodes in progress (history not working). All problems started when the new Archive episode feature was implemented. Had to find something else (big Web player user). Sad... Hope Pocket Casts will return to the basics. Multi device stable and efficient synching is a MUST for all podcast apps. See you maybe in a few years, who knows...
Usability nightmare... for no good reason
I’ve used pocket casts for years as a paying customer, and loved it — until the redesign. Now the most simple things, like marking an episode as “played”, require confusing gestures and interactions. I’ve counted at least three distinct ways to mark something as “played”, all available in different contexts. Swipe this way, no, that way, oh wait, no, it’s the other way. It’s a complete nightmare. Interacting with this app is now like trying to find your way through a maze in complete darkness. If that wasn’t bad enough it also freezes, crashes, and syncing is often unreliable. The previous version was fantastic — it was my favourite app. Now I despise it. I’m furious at the developers for ruining something that was so great. Such a disappointment.
Redesign is difficult
The app seems quite complicated and but intuitive anymore.
- Podcast Media, LLC
- 50 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © Podcast Media LLC
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.