Use your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad as a throttle for model railroad control!
**PLEASE NOTE** This App is not a stand-alone product! Other hardware and software are required.
Link to the popular JMRI software through a local Wi-Fi network to access throttle, address, and function controls wirelessly.
Connect directly to an MRC Prodigy WiFi module.
Connect directly to a Digitrax LnWi module.
Connect directly to a WifiTrax WFD-30/31.
Digital Command Control (DCC) is now the most common control method for earnest model railroaders, allowing multiple trains to be controlled simultaneously anywhere on the track. JMRI is an interface program that works with most brands of DCC and is very popular because it simplifies DCC programming, signaling, control, and many other aspects of running a permanent layout. It is also free and multi-platform.
Instead of direct control through the DCC system, WiThrottle links with JMRI or a dedicated module. This provides a universal interface to many possible combinations of technology and model railroads. As DCC evolves, JMRI is updated as needed to match current technology.
- JMRI 2.12 or higher, JMRI 4.24 or newer recommended
- DCC system interfaced to a computer and a model railroad
- Local Wi-Fi network
MRC Prodigy WiFi Requirements:
- MRC Prodigy WiFi module
- MRC Prodigy DCC system
Digitrax LnWi Requirements:
- Digitrax LnWi module
- Digitrax DCC system
WifiTrax WFD-30/31 Requirements:
- WifiTrax WFD module
- NCE DCC system
If you operate at either a club or private home that uses JMRI for operations and has Wi-Fi, access to the local network (host may need to share their password) is all you need. Multiple iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad mobile devices may use their own WiThrottle app simultaneously during an operating session. If you would like to sample WiThrottle, we offer a Lite version at no charge. This allows you to confirm compatibility before buying the full App.
Please visit our website for additional information. Our goal is to enhance your model railroading experience by providing convenient, wireless control of your existing system. WiThrottle is the final piece of the puzzle.
- Select road or yard throttle control arrangements
- Dual throttle screen
- F0 - F28 function controls
- Build and break Advanced Consists
- Link multiple addresses for control by one throttle (Universal Consists)
- Control JMRI routes & turnouts
- Imports roster list and function labels from your JMRI files
- Access the JMRI WebServer for control panels and more
- Adjust sensitivity of the throttle slider
- Set for right or left hand use
- Acquire and dispatch addresses wirelessly
- Train idles if interrupted (e.g. phone call)
- Control track power
- Fastclock display
- Automatic networking
- Flashlight for devices equipped with camera flash
WiThrottle will integrate seamlessly if:
- you can already control a train using the built-in throttles of JMRI 2.12 or later
- your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad can access your local wireless network (not cellular or Bluetooth)
Minor adjustments for different screen sizes.
Fix MRC settings sometimes not appearing.
Ratings and Reviews
Great just needs support
Love this app. It just needs a few connection bug fixes again. With JMRI updating Frequently this app needs to update as well. Thanks guys.
Works great! Highly recommend!!
I don't know about earlier versions, but this version is so simple to use! Took me some time to figure out that you have to keep swiping right to get to your turnouts and routes. I'm running a Raspberry Pi with a Pi-Sprog and have had no issues at all with this app connecting to my JMRI. JMRI is about of a learning curve but the WiThrottle app is super easy to use! I highly recommend!
Controlling trains from my iPhone, need I say anything more?
Features/upgrades I would love to see is support for landscape orientation and perhaps the ability to show more than two throttles on iPads/iPad Minis.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Beth Hoffman
- 8.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Beth Hoffman
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.