Xcode includes everything developers need to create great applications for Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Apple Watch. Xcode provides developers a unified workflow for user interface design, coding, testing, and debugging. The Xcode IDE combined with the Swift programming language make developing apps easy and fun.
Xcode includes the Xcode IDE, Swift and C/C++/Objective-C compilers, Instruments analysis tool, simulators, the latest SDKs, and hundreds of powerful features:
Innovative tools help you create great apps
• Swift is an intuitive programming language that is safe, fast, and modern
• SwiftUI is a revolutionary framework to create user interfaces with a declarative Swift syntax
• Playgrounds are a fun way to experiment and interact with Swift code
• View debugging shows a 3D stack of all your app's UI view layers at runtime
• Split editors in virtually unlimited ways, show previews, or choose an assistant to see related content
• Live issues display errors as you type, and Fix-its improve your code with just a click
• Source control navigator and service integrations help you manage code across a team
SwiftUI and Interface Builder make it easy to design your interface
• SwiftUI uses declarative Swift code that clearly describes your interface
• Design canvas graphically builds UI views using the library of controls and modifyers
• Preview SwiftUI code or UIKit interfaces in different screen sizes, orientations, and font sizes
• SwiftUI code is always in perfect sync with the graphical design canvas and previews
• Animations are built using simple commands that describe the action you want to see
Professional editor and debugger keep your code front and center
• Refactoring makes it easy to modify the structure of Swift, Objective-C, C, and C++ code
• Open Quickly instantly opens any file within your project
• Data tips and Quick Look can inspect a variable by hovering your mouse over code while debugging
Instruments for performance analysis
• Compare CPU, disk, memory, and GPU performance as graphical tracks over time
• Identify performance bottlenecks, then dive deep into the code to uncover the cause
• Analyze your app directly, or sample the entire system with very little overhead
• Create custom instruments with unique visualizations to analyze your own code and frameworks
To test or run applications on an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, or Apple Watch all you need is a free Apple ID. To submit your apps to the App Store you must be a member of the Apple Developer Program. Some features may require Internet access.
Xcode 13 includes Swift 5.5 and SDKs for iOS 15, iPadOS 15, tvOS 15, and watchOS 8
- Swift adds support for concurrency, improved type inference, and faster incremental builds
- Pull request workflow lets you view and create pull requests in Xcode
- Code review comments with the name and avatar of the commenter are integrated in the editor
- Xcode organizer displays Test Flight crash reports dramatically faster
- Swift package collections help you find and integrate Swift packages in your own apps
- Swift Docc builds documentation for your Swift framework or package directly from your source code’s documentation comments
- Quick compare lets you compare any two versions of your source code in any editor
- Vim mode in the editor supports common vim key combinations and editing modes
- Simulator now includes CarPlay support with control over screen size, resolution, and variable input methods
- Additional bug fixes and stability improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Very unstable and buggy
You would think that Apple could get the software used to create software for their devices right. Wrong. This is not worth the 30% cut they’re getting from developers and not a professional application.
Only if Apple’s quality review team were as strict on Xcode as they are on the app releases. 9.0 is full of bugs.
Xcode 11 is great
I have been using Xcode since version 3. It has changed tremendously over the years. Seeing it has a 2.8 rating on the store is simply not accurate and reflecting its quality.
Xcode 9 was rough. We all know it.
Xcode 11 is powerful, the new editor is awesome, debugging is great. Should it have a 5 star rating? Probably not, it can always be improved, but it's a solid 4.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Canada, Inc.
- 12.4 GB
- Developer Tools
- Requires macOS 11.3 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 1999–2021 Apple Inc.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.