Whether you're the keenest of twitchers, a devout local birder or someone with a passing interest in what's being seen near you, the BirdGuides app gives you all the information you need - and much more besides.
Major new features include:
• Map view – locate sightings on a map and tap for full details;
• Search function – search our entire sightings database, stretching back to November 2000, in an instant;
• Sophisticated submission form to send us your sightings as quickly and accurately as possible from the field;
• Update and create Filters within the app;
• Customise your notification sounds and settings to your choice;
• 'Nearby' news can now be customised on a 5-120 km scale, based on your current position at any given time.
News is helpfully broken into three channels: Latest, showing all the most recent sightings nationwide; Filtered, showing only the news you want to see; and Nearby, updating on your phone's GPS position to show you what's in your area at any given time.
Each sighting can be expanded to give full location details and further information, such as time seen, number of birds, detailed directions and parking instructions. A single click will load the best route to the bird in your map provider. Birding has never been so easy!
Minor tweaks and bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
I like the new app! It's better than when I first tried BirdGuides a few years ago. In hindsight I should've stayed with BirdGuides as it's better value for money too. Returned after being disappointed in RBA's actions during lockdown and had the added bonus of joining in time for the new app. It works well and provides me with the information I need, with links to Google Maps, Collins Bird Guide and the new BWP app.
Just one bit of feedback: it would be handy to have a new filter option for "1st report of the day". Currently you can only choose between all reports & the first ever report.
BirdGuides update June 2020
Overnight BirdGuides has changed. There is a fresh new look! Everything is set out in a much clearer fashion. This is now much easier to read on a mobile phone. Pictures of the birds are larger and there are easy links through to location maps. There is also an excellent link which takes you straight through to the correct page of the Collins Bird Guide app. A lot of thought has clearly gone into this upgrade. Congratulations and thanks to the team!
Best bird news app
This app is the best one around for getting news on rare birds, notable local birds, mammals and insects. It’s really easy to navigate and set up filters to match your interest or ‘most wanted bogey birds’. The mapping and directions keeps improving with lots of great info provided. It’s really good value too. A must have for any birder in the UK!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Warners Group Publications Plc
- 13.7 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Warners Group Publications Plc
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.