Designed for iPad
Want an easy way to record the birds you see, and keep track of what you have seen? The BirdTrack app makes recording your sightings easy and your birdwatching more rewarding; plus your sightings support research and conservation at the local, national and global scale. Whether you want to record single sightings of those special birds or make a list of all the birds you see whilst birdwatching on a local patch you can do both from the palm of your hand. This free app links directly to your BirdTrack account on the web and acts as your digital notebook, enabling you to quickly and easily record the information you want for the birds (and some other wildlife groups) you see.
With our app, you can:
• Select the species you saw from an illustrated checklist of the most likely species based on BirdTrack data for your location and the time of year.
• Offline mapping and observation recording, enabling use in places with no data connection.
• Keep records of birds seen anywhere in the world.
• See suggestions of local birdwatching places; add records for these popular places to help monitor their bird populations.
• Add sightings for some other taxa groups, including amphibians, butterflies, dragonflies, mammals, orchids, and reptiles. (UK only).
• View and edit previous sightings directly on your device.
• View a map of recent sightings made by the BirdTrack community.
• Keep track of your year and life lists, plus see lists of ‘target’ species seen by other BirdTrack users.
• Option to share your sightings via social media.
• Add optional information to your sightings, including breeding evidence, plumage details, and sensitive record settings to control the visibility of your records.
• Sightings are seamlessly synchronised with your BirdTrack account, so you can see all your observations whether you are viewing via your device or via the website.
Developed by the British Trust for Ornithology, on behalf of the BirdTrack partnership.
This version contains bug fixes and improvements, including:
• A fix for nearby places failing to load when no internet connection is available.
• A fix for some users having issues upgrading the app to the latest version.
Ratings and Reviews
I have loved using this app for years and am delighted to find that the new version is even better. Took a bit of getting used to but now my fingers have learned where to go it is great. I use it for my WeBS count too. Very flexible set up. Make sure you look at all the options in settings. I am using the app to learn the 2-letter species codes which appear under the full name of the bird. Makes data entry very quick. Takes no time to upload the data to the website and I frequently use the BirdTrack searches to explore the data. A fantastic resource. A big thank you to BTO.
Brilliant app; small issue
Excellent update to an already good app.
There seems to be a small problem with the app in that when adding additional info to a list, such as whether it was Complete or Casual, or that additional non-bird species were a complete list, there is no way of saving that info - the list reverts to casual and any comments are lost. I then have to go into my records on the website and amend them from there. I hope this helps!
I have been using BirdTrack since it’s inception more than a decade ago and have 150,000 records from my all time birding activity over the last 50 years. This new App is a massive step up in useability, visual appearance and with loads of new features. An absolute must have App for birders wishing to make their observations available for conservation. Easy fir the beginner, and fun for all including the most serious and committed birder. 5 stars
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- British Trust for Ornithology
- 40.2 MB
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2015-2023 British Trust for Ornithology