Identify butterflies and common day-flying moths of Western Europe - including all British butterflies. The app covers an area from Ireland in the west, eastwards to Austria, south to Sicily and north to Finland and Sweden. Select just the species from one country, or browse through all the species.
The specially written information about each species includes a variety of photos showing males, females, upper and undersides and any variations, plus a distribution map and notes on appearance, habitat, favourite nectar source, distribution and rarity status. More species will be added at regular intervals.
As with other iSpiny nature guides, extensive record keeping features are included, with iCloud syncing to keep your data safe. Note the location, time and date of the sighting, make notes, view your records on a map or as a list, and download as an Excel file.
You can even add your own photos to the app to compliment the images provided and to really make the app your own!
The app also includes a photo-based Butterfly Finder to help identify mystery butterflies using a combination of filters including details of appearance, location, altitude and date.
• Includes the most common day-flying moths as well as butterflies
• A photo-based 'Butterfly Finder' based on appearance, habitat, location, date and more
• Carefully selected photos of males, females, upper and undersides.
• Labelled photos of key features
• A 'compare images'feature
• A 'History' feature to make it easy to go back to the last species you looked at
• A European distribution map for every species
• iCloud syncing to keep your data safe
• A back-up system so you can save your data
• Export your list of sightings to Excel
• You can add your own photos of the butterfly or its habitat
• Share your sightings with the built-in Facebook and Twitter links.
We have many years experience of developing biological software and this has enabled us to pack the app full of features while keeping it simple and easy to use. All the listed features are included in the app when you buy it - we don't have in-app purchase and we won't ask you to sign-up or register for anything.
To keep up with the latest news:
Facebook (Nature Guides): www.facebook.com/ispinynatureguides
Facebook (Chirp! & Chirpomatic birdsong apps): www.facebook.com/chirpbirdsongs
The update includes a fix for a crash in the Butterfly Finder on the iPad.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
So nearly brilliant
Have been using this app for a few years now and it is very helpful in the field (as long as the sun's not too bright) especially if you have a good book with you too.
Two suggested enhancements please and I'll give you five stars:
1. Please would you add the larval host plant details? I'm perfectly willing to do the research for you, just ask.
2. Please would you make the sighting date and time manually editable? I'd like to add in all my past records.
Really useful app
I find this app very useful and well laid out, easy to use and find what I'm looking for, then being able to take a pic of the butterfly is an added bonus. Added together with the other apps for birds and wildflowers makes a much easier option than carrying books out on a walk.
Really impressed with the slick upgrade of this app. It's really intuitive, lightning fast, and highly informative. 5 out of 5.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.