"It’s kind of like the Garage Band of coding." – Wired
"Codea for iPad is a super slick way to write and run programs on your iPad." – Gizmodo
Codea lets you create games and simulations — or just about any visual idea you have. Turn your thoughts into interactive creations that make use of iPad features like Multi-Touch and the accelerometer.
We think Codea is the most beautiful code editor you'll use, and it's easy. Codea is designed to let you touch your code. Want to change a color, or an image? Tapping will bring up visual editors that let you choose exactly what you want.
Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.
Here's how you use it: type your code. Press play to watch it run. Interact with it. Get creative.
• A fully featured 2D and 3D renderer
• Lots of great example projects to learn from, including games
• Touch your code: tap colors, images and sounds to adjust them
• Export your finished projects to Xcode to produce real apps
• Complete in-line reference documentation accessible from keyboard
• Intelligent syntax highlighting and auto-completing code editor
• Import your own assets from Dropbox
• Full 2D and 3D physics engines for complex motion
• Add parameters so you can tweak variables at runtime
• Interact with accelerometer and multi-touch on your device
• Generate retro-game sound effects
• GLSL Shader Language support with live shader editor
• Bluetooth keyboard support and keyboard shortcuts
• Air Code: code live from your PC using WiFi
• Much, much more
• Join the forums at https://codea.io/talk to ask questions, share ideas and get help when you need it
• If you need help or wish to get in contact with us, please use the support link on this page
Codea runs on your iPhone too
We've spent the last year taking every piece of Codea and making it work beautifully in the palm of your hand
There's a brand new code editor that scales with your screen. All example projects have been touched up for iPhone. Everything from the Shader Lab to the color picker has had a makeover
Oh, we've also added support for the latest features in iOS:
- Automatic setting for your editor theme to follow the system theme
- Support for context menus and card style UI
(And there's a new icon)
Ratings and Reviews
Amazing, Simple and Powerful
I have seen the games people have made with this and they are truly amazing. The UI is extremely user friendly and if you ever get stuck or have a question you can go to the forums and you can be certain at least one person answers it.
If you have no previous experience with lua it has a very helpful reference manual which will get you started and will hopefully be enough for you to get going with lua and make your first game. I have just started learning lua with nothing but this app and so far so good.
I definitely recommend for anyone looking to make games on their iPad and publish to the App Store.
Developer Response ,
Thanks! For a guy that isn't happy we're glad you're happy :)
These are my first thoughts after an hour of use but as of now I really like it.
.The editor is pretty minimalist but it is easy to use and gets the job done.
.I haven’t seen any inbuilt documentation for getting started in lua but there are quite a few well commented coding examples to look at.
.I use an iPad Pro so I am thinking that making the editor side by side compatible would be a great help when looking at external documents (or your twitter feed).
.I am playing with the voxel system and it seems to be very good.
.More built in APIs would be nice but the change log suggests that the developer is on top of this. On a similar note, it would be nice to have access to something like apples UIKit, but that is a big ask.
Developer Response ,
Glad you had a good experience. Thank you for your great feedback.
We're making the editor side-by-side compatible soon. And more built-in APIs are coming!
iPhone X test review
Edit / update....is now working again..? If this was not something u did it may be conflicting applications of some kind???....
Has stopped responding!
Work at first but now a month of so later it has stopped? Will not run /print examples
The reason for my discovery is that I now need to use this application for research
Please help correct this.
Apologies if I have over looked something
& I hope this review helps ....nice application but the way.
Will pay 💰 to if needed in future!.
- Two Lives Left
- 112.2 MB
Requires iOS 11.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Catalan, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Two Lives Left
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.