Download the most essential and comprehensive dictionary app for dependable definitions at your fingertips.
Dictionary.com is the leading free English dictionary app for iPad– with over 2,000,000 trusted definitions and synonyms. The app is designed and optimized for your device.
Easily search definitions and synonyms offline. You can access the offline dictionary anytime and anywhere - you do not need an internet connection. Voice search and audio pronunciation requires connection.
In addition to the trusted reference content from Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, this app includes more features than you might expect:
• Word of the Day – expand your vocabulary and challenge yourself daily
• Audio pronunciation – increase confidence in English and never mispronounce another word
• Articles – explore hundreds of fun topics on language, grammar, and words in the wild
• Slideshows – learn fascinating facts about language
• Favorite words and search history – never forget the words you learn and save words for future reference
• Spelling suggestions – not sure how a word is spelled? Spell check in the app will help
• Advanced learner’s dictionary – special content for ESL, EFL and English learners
Extra upgrades included in our Pro App:
• Remove Ads
• Idioms and Phrases
• Example Sentences
• Medical, Science and Rhyming Dictionaries
Updates. Noun. Something you should keep turned on so you never miss an improvement from Dictionary.com!
Did you notice the Origin tab is missing? You're right. We still have origins available alongside definitions, but we have removed the tab for now.
Origin is a noun that can mean the first stage of existence, and we promise we're working on a second stage of the tab that will be even better.
Speaking of better, we made some fixes that fit the definition to a T.
Ratings and Reviews
A so called professional app
Suggest that you send your writer for English lessons. Legible is an adjective or it was when I went to school. Not the best of advertisements for your app.
I use this app ALL the time. I think it's great because it's well presented, you have all the options of whether you want to know what a word means, other similar words, or what words rhyme with it... there are also clear examples of how the word is used, and also if there are similar sounding words that are actually different in context (like boy and bouy. One is a male child the other is a static floating sea anchor that boat moor themselves to).
Have tried a couple of other apps before I paid for this one without the adds, and have to say, in comparison they were all rubbish. So yes, I'd definitely recommend this one.
The developers have done the honourable thing by updating the app to support the upcoming iOS update.
I feared it was going to result in the app to be allowed to pass and then relaunched resulting in a repurchase for it and the additional reference materials available.
Thankfully my cynicism was misplaced and an app that I use daily has been reprieved - along with my previously installed purchases - thank you and keep up the good work.
- Dictionary.com, LLC
- 199.2 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Rhyming Dictionary Upgrade £1.99
- Grammar & Tips Upgrade £1.99
- Encyclopedia upgrade £2.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.