eBird Mobile makes it easy to record the birds you see in the field, and seamlessly link these observations with eBird--a global online database of bird records used by hundreds of thousands of birders around the world. This free resource makes it easy to keep track of what you see, while making your data openly available for scientific research, education, and conservation. eBird Mobile is the only app that passes information directly from the iOS device to your eBird account on the web.
- Enter bird observations from any location around the world.
- Full global taxonomy based on The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World.
- Common names available in local languages (e.g., Portuguese names in Brazil or in Portugal).
- Checklists customized for your location and time of year, showing most likely species based on eBird data.
- Rare species flagged during data entry and on the checklist.
- "Record as you go" functionality for incremental list keeping and counting while birding.
- GPS enabled location plotting to ensure accuracy.
- Map tools that enable selecting from hundreds of thousands of eBird "Hotspots."
- Full offline functionality, enabling use in places with limited or no Internet connection.
- Trip and Day list functionality that makes it easy to keep track of your species list on a particular outing.
- Support for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.
- Entire app translated to German, Mandarin, French, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Turkish, and Dutch.
Performance updates for “Updating eBird…” dialog, including more intelligent updates and ability to cancel dialog if needed.
Ratings and Reviews
Thanks for adding explore hotspots to the app, so useful and it looks amazing.
Keep on improving this, a link to the bird info like you have in Bird ID app when viewing in hotspot list would be great too.
Useless and unreliable
App sometimes, when it works, is good and convenient; however, it is unreliable. A number of times (maybe 7 to 10 times over past 2 to 3 months, it fails, not allowing me to start a checklist. As soon as I click on checklist link, the app quits. I’ve tried closing the app, shutting off phone and restarting only to have the problem continue. I find it incredibly frustrating when I’m out in the field and the app simply won’t work.
An excellent app. Links to the free Merlin bird ID app and a fully featured web application where you can do so much more! So easy to record sightings in the field. I have had no problems uploading my life list, and find the whole thing a joy to use! All your data is then available to scientists worldwide? The app is being continuously developed with significant updates appearing regularly! It receives high praise from the birding press, so I don’t understand the negative reviews here!
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Cornell University
- 82.1 MB
- Requires iOS 11.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.1 or later.
English, Akan, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Bulgarian, Cambodian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Cornell University
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.